Pythagoras

  • pythagoras11nl
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2010
      L.S.

      Newsletter 13 is available via the Pythagoras Foundation website: http://www.stichting-pythagoras.nl/English/index.htm
      Click Newsletter.

      Contents:

      Marcel Roggemans: interview;

      Recente boeken van Marcel Roggemans

      Emil Kramer, Raphael's School of Athens: the big picture

      Graham Pont, A Monument of Pythagorean Scholarship

      Conferences / Symposia / News

      New books, New book chapters Book reviews, New journal articles.

      Please feel free to send us your comments and additions.
      The deadline for contributions for the 14th Newsletter, (June, 2010) is May 25, 2010.

      Best wishes for the new year.

      Nico Bader
    • pythagoras11nl
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 10 12:44 AM
        L.S.

        Newsletter 14 is available via the Pythagoras Foundation website: http://www.stichting-pythagoras.nl/English/index.htm
        Click Newsletter.

        Contents:

        Johan C. Thom: interview

        Golden Verses, translated by Johan Thom

        The Death of Pythagoras, by Bruce Pennington,

        Conferences / Symposia

        News, New books, New book chapters, Book reviews

        New journal articles

        Internet, film

        The deadline for contributions for the 15th Newsletter, (December, 2010) is December 20, 2010.

        Best wishes

        Nico Bader

        Pythagoras Foundation
        Thorbeckelaan 46
        1412 BR Naarden
        The Netherlands
      • pythagoras11nl

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 15 10:35 AM
            --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "pythagoras11nl" <nico.bader@...> wrote:

            > L.S.
            >
            > Newsletter 14 is available via the Pythagoras Foundation website: http://www.stichting-pythagoras.nl/English/index.htm
            > Click Newsletter.
            >

            > Contents:
            >
            > Johan C. Thom: interview
            >
            > Golden Verses, translated by Johan Thom
            >
            > The Death of Pythagoras, by Bruce Pennington,
            >
            > Conferences / Symposia
            >
            > News, New books, New book chapters, Book reviews
            >
            > New journal articles
            >
            > Internet, film
            >

            > The deadline for contributions for the 15th Newsletter, (December, 2010) is December 20, 2010.
            >
            > Best wishes
            >

            > Nico Bader
            >
            > Pythagoras Foundation
            > Thorbeckelaan 46
            > 1412 BR Naarden
            > The Netherlands

            Many items of interest there, and thanks for including mention of my own efforts. Never would have thought to see my name on any page with Cornford's - !

            This new film about Pythagoras described in the newsletter certainly has a notable cast. I hope it turns out well. I found more about it online and here is the link to the production company's info at its own website:

            http://www.inkasfilms.com/feature.html

            Is it possible to imagine a film with Plotinus and Porphyry and Iamblichus now - ?!?

            Gore Vidal's Julian came close more than once to being filmed. At one point Robert Downey Jr. was being considered for Julian.

            Still no word I can find online for any general release of Agora in the US, though Amazon is now listing a US region DVD as upcoming, so I hope if nothing else it will be at some point available that way. I would personally prefer to see it in a real theater, but whatever.

            Here is a very well written article on the film by Susan Jacoby, someone I certainly admire, at the Washington Post. If only we hade now more voices of reason in this country such as hers, but alas, that is not the case:

            http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/spirited_atheist/2010/06/agora_a_rare_movie_with_reason_as_its_star.html

            I would quibble on only one of her points about the destruction of any large scale library at the time of the destruction of the Serapeum - between the disaster in Caesar's time and that of when Aurelian retook the city from Zenobia, there likely was some library remaining, but nothing even remotely like its former massive extent, but who is to say how much exactly was lost in the troubles of 391 to which she rightly otherwise refers, even if there was much less than the full Ptolemaic collection.

            But what happened to the texts that the Alexandrian Neoplatonists must have had in some sort of collection? The destruction after the Arabic conquest has been debunked now, correct? Those ovens heating the baths never burnt a single page, correct?

            Or did they really after all toast the last copy of Alexander of Aphrodisias' lost commentary on Aristotle's de Anima at that time? Apparently Philophonus had had access to it somehow a hundred years before...

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 24, 2010
              Hello,

              What is good fortune for me but a sad comment on the state of our culture, I picked up out of the discard bin a copy of J.A. Coulter, The Literary Microcosm: Theores of Interpretation of the Later Neoplatonists (Leiden: Brill, 1976).

              It is about how the one-many metaphysics led to a hermenuetical view of a literary work as a single whole, as one-many, as harmony.

              The prior owner had two marginalia inside the back cover. One is the Phaedrus (2640, 6-9) and the other is identified as sixth century Neoplatonist quote but I can't make out who.

              First, the text from the Phaedrus -

              It is necessay for every speech to cohere like a living thing having its own body so that nothing is lacking in head nor foot, but have a middle and extremities suitable to each other, sketched as parts of a whole.

              Next, the mystery quote

              A Platonic dalogue is analoguous to a living organism, and a living organism has a single telos, then a dialogue too should have a single telos, that is, one skopos.

              I'm still trying to place it.

              Thanks,

              Thomas

            • Melanie Mineo
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 24, 2010
                Thomas - I found it here, in
                Frances Margaret Young, Biblical exegesis and the formation of Christian
                culture (p. 25n39)

                http://books.google.com/books?id=vw3o0ojTwvYC&pg=PA25&lpg=PA25&dq=A+Platonic+dialogue+is+analogous+to+a+living+organism,+and+a+living+organism+has+a+single+telos,+then+a+dialogue+too+should+have+a+single+telos,+that+is,+one+skopos.&source=bl&ots=qDLI9hkYu3&sig=_VKkxChNL4BERJQ0mWPKkboR84k&hl=en&ei=SdmcTOOqJsO88gbEnp1w&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=A%20Platonic%20dialogue%20is%20analogous%20to%20a%20living%20organism%2C%20and%20a%20living%20organism%20has%20a%20single%20telos%2C%20then%20a%20dialogue%20too%20should%20have%20a%20single%20telos%2C%20that%20is%2C%20one%20skopos.&f=false

                "From a sixth-century Neoplatonic text quoted by Malcolm Heath, Unity in Greek
                Poetics (Oxford: Clarendon, 1989), p. 124."

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 24, 2010
                  Hi Thomas,

                  That'd be yer Anonymus de philosophia platonica, ch. 22 ed. Westerink.

                  Bet, Mike

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 24, 2010
                    Thanks, Melanie, but who is Heath quoting? Any idea?

                    BTW, I just returned from up your way. We had a month-long big family get together in upstate New York that involved a Long Island adventure, Skidmore, Saratoga and the track (Bank of America box at finishline), Tanglewood, a semi-religious pilgrimage to a big field (Woodstock), and a trek into Boston and Montreal. I also enjoyed the treks partly because I was in a house of tea drinkers who lived in a small village of tea drinkers and the treks allowed me to get some espresso -- although at Saratoga (the track) one could only get espresso as gelato or in an iced cocktail.

                    The relatives are re-doing the guest room; for Christmas they get an espresso machine for the guest room.

                  • dgallagher@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 24, 2010
                      Thomas,

                      Sorry I can't identify the quote in question, but the Phaedrus is superb.
                      Another veiled reference to the divided line I hadn't picked up on
                      previously. And supported through the ensuing dialogue, including the reference
                      to distinction between left and right at 266, as well as the dialecticians
                      allusion at b.

                      Thanks for the pointer.

                      David

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 24, 2010
                        Thanks, Michael.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 24, 2010
                          --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "Goya" <goya@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Thomas,
                          >
                          > That'd be yer Anonymus de philosophia platonica, ch. 22 ed. Westerink.
                          >
                          > Bet, Mike

                          Damn, ya beat me to it! I knew that one - well not the chapter, but the work. Do I get a booby prize?

                          Nope - "coronat se virtus".

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 24, 2010

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 24, 2010
                              Thanks, Thomas - that's a very good question.

                              I've been kicking around "Unity in Greek Poetics" on Google Books, trying to
                              glean from Heath - but so far not too much luck. (It only gives 'snippet" views,
                              and it's not really giving me the snippets I want when I enter key words.)
                              However, I did find a snippet that does speak to "the Neoplatonist theory of
                              unified skopos, mistakenly believed by its proponents to have been Plato's
                              theory" (p. 152). This may (or may not) refer to "that sixth-century Neoplatonic
                              text" that Heath quotes that is proving so elusive. SUNY Stony Brook has the
                              Heath text - I will be going up in that direction soon. I'm curious myself. But,
                              WorldCat indicates the Heath text is also held @ Vanderbilt University. That's
                              in your neighborhood, isn't it?

                              What a summer adventure! Next time you're in my neighborhood, stop by for a
                              visit if you have time - espresso sounds good to me!

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 25, 2010
                                Espresso is an essential component for a psycho-chemical theurgic development of concentration needed for seeking the one in the symbols printed on leaves slowly being turned.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 2, 2010
                                  The quote is from the Anonymous Prolegomena to the philosophy of Plato (whose author was previously believed to be Olympiodorus), IX, 21.27-32.
                                  Kind regards,
                                  Jan Opsomer