Books

  • Cosmin I. Andron
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 8 4:43 PM
      Dear ListMembers,

      Hope my message finds you well - probably in holiday which I hope you
      are enjoying. Below are the titles of some books that landed recently on
      my desk. Some of them are about Neoplatonism while others are *relevant*
      for the Neoplatonic scholar:

      MEDIO/NEO PLATONISM:

      - Calcidio, Commentario al Timeo di Platone. Ed.& trad. C Moreschini, M
      Bertolini, L Nicolini, I Ramelli, p.: LXXXVI-808, Bompiani 2003, € 30,00

      [Finally the first translation into a modern language as far as I know.
      The volume presents the Latin text in Wasz.'s edition facing the Italian
      translation. The volume lacks a bit in unity due to different authors
      translating different parts, despite the work of the editor, i.e. CM.
      The volume comprises an introduction and a moderate number of notes to
      the text.]

      - Giamblico, I misteri degli egiziani, Ed.& trad. C Moreschini, p.463,
      BUR/ Rizzoli 2003, € 12,50

      [Useful pocket edition with an introduction, Greek text facing Italian
      translation and notes by C Moreschini of Iamblichus 'de Myst.']

      - ***, 'Il Parmenide di Platone e la sua tradizione. Atti del 3º
      Colloquio internazionale del Centro di ricerca sul neoplatonismo', ed. M
      Barbanti & F Romano, p.456, CUECM 2003, € 21,00

      NEOPLATONISM RELATED:

      - Gregorio Palamas, Atto e luce divina. Scritti filosofici e teologici,
      Ed.& trad. E Perrella, p. CXXIX-1529, Bompiani 2003, € 35,00

      [Introduction, Greek text facing Italian translation and notes.]

      - Avicenna, Metafisica, Ed.& trad. O Lizzini, P Porro, p.LXIV-1311,
      Bompiani 2002, € 33,00

      [Since I've only now discovered I mention it only now. The volume
      comprises an ample introduction, Arabic text facing Italian translation,
      the Latin translation in the lower part of the page of the Arabic
      original and copious notes.]

      //Please indicate in the future not only volumes but also new articles
      if you came across. I'm sure we can't catch them all...//

      With every best wish, yours
      Cosmin

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Cosmin I. Andron BA, MA (Cluj), PhD cand.

      Department of Classics
      Royal Holloway College
      University of London
      Egham
      Surrey TW20 OEX
      England

      Phone: 0044 (0) 7759 188 337
      Email: C.I.Andron@...

      Web page: www.cosmin-andron.com
    • Kornel Losonczy
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 30, 2007
        Hello everyone,

        I have recently joined the group and enjoy the discussion very much so far. I feel I'm a begginner in this topic,so I"m willing to learn a lot from you all. I'd like to ask if any of you have ebooks on neoplatonism and/or Plotinus or other authors, and if so,is it possible to share it via this groups webpage?

        Thanks: Kornel

        IHSV

      • James Atkins Pritchard
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 30, 2007
          I'm not familiar with any suitable ebooks, but I do have a recommendation
          that may be of use to you: Corrigan's "Reading Plotinus" is an excellent
          introduction to Plotinus and indeed all of neoplatonism.

          *http://tinyurl.com/2bvqkf*

          **

          **

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 30, 2007
            --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, Kornel Losonczy <klosonczy@...>
            wrote:

            > Hello everyone,
            >
            > I have recently joined the group and enjoy the discussion very
            much so far. I feel I'm a begginner in this topic,so I"m willing to
            learn a lot from you all. I'd like to ask if any of you have ebooks
            on neoplatonism and/or Plotinus or other authors, and if so,is it
            possible to share it via this groups webpage?

            > Thanks: Kornel
            >

            > IHSV

            Big subject, of course. As for online resources, the best place to
            start is the ISNS resource page:

            http://www.isns.us/links.htm

            Among many online resources, including primary as well as secondary
            texts, you might want to start with this article on Neoplatonism:

            http://www.utm.edu/research/iep/n/neoplato.htm

            You will see a number of links on that resource page to articles at
            two online encyclopedias of philosophy, the Internet Encyclopedia of
            Philosophy and the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.

            There are a number of texts in the original Greek and/or Latin at
            Google Books now, though usually they have to be rather old to avoid
            the copyright restrictions. I think if you Google for Neoplatonism
            and bibliography you'll probably get some bibliographies too, though
            I haven't tried that one myself. That could be hit or miss, of course.

            Have fun!

            Dennis Clark
          • Kornel Losonczy
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 31, 2007
              Hello guys,

              First off: Thanks a lot for the info.

              Well ok I'm not a real begginner, I'm learning philosophy here in Hungary and I'm just about to finish, and the only thing that really got me was the ancient traditions, the greek tradition if talking philosophy. So I'm gonna write my major paper (I don't know if this is the proper term) Comparing Plato's idea of the Primer good,the form of good and Plotinus's One. And also their, and the greeks theology in general.
              I'm willing to collect articles concerning these specific themes for such texts and books are hard to find here even at the university library.
              Online resources are rare and the ones that I've found you have to pay to download. That is of course in connection with neoplatonism. Plato is easy ta access.
              I have the enneads and O'meara's book.
              Too bad i don't know german well enough to read philosophy, there are more books in german.

              don't post amazon links, it only makes my heart bleed to see so many good books that i cannot read. :( They're too expensive.

              have a good day: Kornel

              IHSV

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007
                wrote:

                > Hello guys,
                >
                > First off: Thanks a lot for the info.
                >
                > Well ok I'm not a real begginner, I'm learning philosophy here in
                Hungary and I'm just about to finish, and the only thing that really
                got me was the ancient traditions, the greek tradition if talking
                philosophy. So I'm gonna write my major paper (I don't know if this
                is the proper term) Comparing Plato's idea of the Primer good,the
                form of good and Plotinus's One. And also their, and the greeks
                theology in general.
                > I'm willing to collect articles concerning these specific themes
                for such texts and books are hard to find here even at the university
                library.
                > Online resources are rare and the ones that I've found you have
                to pay to download. That is of course in connection with
                neoplatonism. Plato is easy ta access.
                > I have the enneads and O'meara's book.
                > Too bad i don't know german well enough to read philosophy, there
                are more books in german.

                > don't post amazon links, it only makes my heart bleed to see so
                many good books that i cannot read. :( They're too expensive.

                > have a good day: Kornel

                Speaking as one who has spent way too much money he shouldn't have on
                expensive books on this subject, I do understand those dangers.

                But I would definitely encourage you to look at Google books, though
                recently one of our colleagues here at the group was having trouble
                accessing the main site in Europe, so I hope you don't have the same
                issues there. Oddly enough, some recent books show up there in their
                entirety. I don't know how this happens, but one example is Ilsetraut
                Hadot's recent book on Hierocles, which is in full view at Google.
                Here is the URL for that:

                http://books.google.com/books?
                id=dCELAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=hadot+hierocles&sig=TNhmApciHRX
                81chOrlRQEbRVKpo

                The search feature at Google Books can also be a bit frustrating;
                often I have entered an author on the advanced search and not found a
                certain text, and then when I just put in the author and some other
                keywords in the general search, then suddenly the text appears in
                Full View. It also helps, if you are looking for the full text, to
                limit the search to that "Full View". Then you won't get all those
                hits that are just references to the book found in other, usually
                Limited View texts. Online books is an area of rapid development
                actually; there was an article the other day in the news about the
                competition between Google and Microsoft and how libraries and other
                institutions are reacting to all this. But one thing is clear -
                libraries more and more want to digitize, and so I think while there
                is a long way to go on that, we are definitely headed in that
                direction. Certainly even now it pays to know how to dig and root
                around online to find the free resources especially.

                But it may be worth your while to look at second-hand books online at
                ABE at http://www.abebooks.com Some are not so expensive, while of
                course some are still not at all cheap there. This is not, as you
                probably already know, an easy subject to pursue without access to a
                decent library, usually a university one, or at least interlibrary
                loan, which we have here in the USA but I can't speak to the
                situation in Europe. I do think we all need reading knowledge not
                only of German but most definitely French and Italian and probably
                Spanish too. Recently I have encountered many works of interest in
                Italian - which I can muddle through with some difficulty, having
                never studied it formally - and often unfortunately those secondary
                works in Italian are not that easily available in libraries here in
                America nor are they quite as easy to get online as the French,
                German or English.

                Does anyone know of a good online site for Italian books? I have had
                varying results with individual booksellers there - some great,
                others not so great. There is no Italian Amazon, unfortunately. I
                have found several individual sites but I would like to know more
                about them before using them. Librarius.net is great for Classics and
                Ancient Philosophy, including often second-hand German works, but
                they seem not to stock Italian books.

                On this side the Atlantic, apparently something has gone awry with
                Schoenhof's website, which has been down with no error message for
                some time now. It was a great resource, especially as a vendor of
                Teubner texts, I think perhaps the main one in the USA. Another way
                to spend lots of money - I wish Smith's edition of Porphyry's
                fragments were more readily available, just to mention one example of
                an important text that is not cheap.