Commentary on the Categories on Archimedes Palimpsest

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2009
      This may indeed be old news, but I found this most fascinating today, that among the leaves of the Archimedes palimpsest is also apparently part of a likely Peripatetic commentary on Aristotle's Categories. It includes named references up to Herminus, and one possible candidate for the authorhip is in fact Alexander of Aphrodisias himself. The subject matter already decoded includes same issues brought up in Simplicius.

      Here is a report on the work in progress by R W Sharples at the website supporting the Archimedes palimpsest:

      http://www.archimedespalimpsest.org/scholarship_othertext.html

      http://www.archimedespalimpsest.org/scholarship_sharples1.html

      I don't think they are near a publication - there is also a most interesting little video there of Messieurs Sharples, Sorabji, and Wilson at work deciphering - 21st century scholarship in action!

      I was unaware there was anything more than Archimedes included, but apparently there are about 10 pages of Hyperides, and now this as well. There are many, many data files at the site though organized in a fairly complicated fashion. I suspect the relevant pages with this commentary are there somewhere, but good luck reading it, if the experts are using a large screen as you can see in the video picking their way through the palimpsest.

      I guess there's not enough room there for the 28 books of Iamblichus' Commentary on the Chaldaen Oracles...likely also not the first choice of most for a lost work to pop up like this...perhaps the rest of the Anon. Comm. on the Parmenides with author attribution would be better - ?

      Dennis Clark
    • John Dillon
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2009

        > This may indeed be old news, but I found this most fascinating today, that
        > among the leaves of the Archimedes palimpsest is also apparently part of a
        > likely Peripatetic commentary on Aristotle's Categories. It includes named
        > references up to Herminus, and one possible candidate for the authorhip is in
        > fact Alexander of Aphrodisias himself. The subject matter already decoded
        > includes same issues brought up in Simplicius.
        >
        > Here is a report on the work in progress by R W Sharples at the website
        > supporting the Archimedes palimpsest:
        >
        > http://www.archimedespalimpsest.org/scholarship_othertext.html
        >
        > http://www.archimedespalimpsest.org/scholarship_sharples1.html
        >
        > I don't think they are near a publication - there is also a most interesting
        > little video there of Messieurs Sharples, Sorabji, and Wilson at work
        > deciphering - 21st century scholarship in action!
        >
        > I was unaware there was anything more than Archimedes included, but apparently
        > there are about 10 pages of Hyperides, and now this as well. There are many,
        > many data files at the site though organized in a fairly complicated fashion.
        > I suspect the relevant pages with this commentary are there somewhere, but
        > good luck reading it, if the experts are using a large screen as you can see
        > in the video picking their way through the palimpsest.
        >
        > I guess there's not enough room there for the 28 books of Iamblichus'
        > Commentary on the Chaldaen Oracles...likely also not the first choice of most
        > for a lost work to pop up like this...perhaps the rest of the Anon. Comm. on
        > the Parmenides with author attribution would be better - ?
        >
        > Dennis Clark

        Many thanks for that, Dennis. I had heard of it vaguely, but not focused on
        it. The link is most interesting. I hope to see Bob Sharples briefly next
        Monday, and I will enquire after it. I doubt that we¹ll find any Iamblichus
        in the remaining bits, though! John

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2009

          > Many thanks for that, Dennis. I had heard of it vaguely, but not focused on
          > it. The link is most interesting. I hope to see Bob Sharples briefly next
          > Monday, and I will enquire after it. I doubt that we¹ll find any Iamblichus
          > in the remaining bits, though! John

          That's certainly well timed - I guess it would be nice to have some Platonist content in the Commentary also, though it sounds from his report that so far that hasn't been the case, not surprisingly if it's Peripatetic, unless the author decided to bring up "opposing" views I suppose. Maybe he can shed some light on that.

          Amazing we still get new texts from time to time.