Re: [neoplatonism] Conference

    Message 1 of 38 , Jul 30 9:16 AM
      Hmmm, I've been reading Fichte lately. Maybe I have a Fichte infection when he has the ego posit the nonego which raises ethical questions for me. But I would still wonder if -- and I'm sort of taking a Deweyan-Kierkegaardian-Habermasian-Levinasian perspective here -- the dialog and dialectic in Hegel is not the real interactive elenchic dialectic between two actual interacting persons in dialogue that you find with Socrates.

      [I agree with Habermas until he unilaterally comes up with a normative account of communicative action -- was it developed via communicative action? Dewey, Kierkegaard and Levinas appear better tuned in to the fact that what is communication and discourse is itself soemthing not predefined but worked out and negotiated in process.]

      Even Aquinas's summa has more of the dialog form, Perhaps I should take the charge back to Montaigne (inventor of the essay) and Descartes (meditations to himself in isolation) where philosophical discourse seems to take on the quality of a monologue that we are allowed to listen in on. Hmmm.

      I'm with you about the dwarves though. As a graduate student, I went through Heidegger's Basic Problems with Charles Scott and realized just how badly (on purpose?) Heidegger misunderstood medieval philosophy. The suspicion became a stronger impression when I read his dissertation on Scotus. But the clincher for me was another graduate seminar when Sallis was still around on Heidegger's Plato's Sophist. I concluded he was some kind of dwarf that really liked the Cave as his permanent habitat, and of course, if you look around in a cave, it is going to be all dark. That doesn't mean its dark everywhere. And so, as a historian of philosophy, I tend to regard Heidegger as a hack.

      Thomas

      Message 38 of 38 , Aug 28, 2009
        Hello Michael,
        We are in considerable and substantive agreement, then. My analogy with an ashram was not firm and I don't think any following of a guru should be uncritical. There are types of centers where people gather once of twice a week. Sometimes have a longer residence. Other times an annual retreat. Yet they still have their ordinary lives to conduct. In terms of dialectic and dialogue (partly in reply to Bob), Gelukpa monks are trained to debate philosophical positions because it is the training together that sharpens the reasoning and analytic virtue to help with the insight aspect of meditation just as the samadhi practice helps with the clarity aspect of meditation. The Hesychasts also have debates on Athos and a study of the logical fallacies as intellectual vices that point to something deeper about character is actually similar to the Tibetan practice. In the Hesychast tradition and the Ishraqi tradition, these practices are part of an ethos within
        which Aristotle's Posterior Analytics is read as a treatise in mythical theology on the perfection of the intellectual faculties. There is even a Buddhist reference to the work in this respect, namely, prajna parctice of insight meditation is perfection of dianoia while samadhi practice as the clarity aspect of meditation is perfection of the nous. And of course, I doubt Buddhism and Hesychasm are both wrong that sila practice or praxis (in both cases, practice of the moral virtues) can only be done midst the presence of real people in real interaction. And this is also part of the context for the debate, dialectic, insight, dianoetic training for one reason because the dianoetic part can run on as our inner self-justifier and gossiper. Part of the ancient exercise in philosophy, faithfully practiced by Cato the Elder and Cicero, for example, of the evening review breaks up this pathological (in the ancient sense) pandering to self that the dianoetic
        part gets caught up in. Anyway, I also agree with you that some philosophers, in the real sense, don't need "credentials". So, it seems to me we are basically in agreement about much.
        Best,
        Thomas Mether