Re: Tommaso Campanella

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
      --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "John Uebersax" <john.uebersax@...> wrote:

      > --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, Michael Chase <goya@> wrote:
      >
      > > another Neoplatonically-flavored text
      >
      > It likely isn't the correct identification, but the passage reminded me of "A Subtle Allegory" by the 17th century alchemist/Rosicrucian Michael Maier:
      >
      > http://www.levity.com/alchemy/maier.html
      >
      > John Uebersax

      Michael, you left us hanging! Who is it?

      Or is that part of the test, that we have to deal with not ever finding out?!?

      Dennis Clark
    • Michael Chase
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009
        On Jul 2, 2009, at 7:37 PM, vaeringjar wrote:

        > --- In neopl
        >
        > Michael, you left us hanging! Who is it?
        >
        > Or is that part of the test, that we have to deal with not ever
        > finding out?!?

        M.C. no, I wouldn't be (quite) that perverse.

        It's from the 4th chapter of the Zhuang Zi (AKA Chuan Tzu), the
        Chinese Taoist philosopher of the 4th cent. BCE, as quoted after the
        French translation by Lisa Bresner, Pouvoirs de la mélancholie.
        Chamans, poètes et souverains dans la Chine antique, Paris 2004,
        166-168.

        Best, Mike

        Michael Chase
        (goya@...)
        CNRS UPR 76
        7, rue Guy Moquet
        Villejuif 94801

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4, 2009
          > M.C. no, I wouldn't be (quite) that perverse.
          >
          > It's from the 4th chapter of the Zhuang Zi (AKA Chuan Tzu), the
          > Chinese Taoist philosopher of the 4th cent. BCE, as quoted after the
          > French translation by Lisa Bresner, Pouvoirs de la mélancholie.
          > Chamans, poètes et souverains dans la Chine antique, Paris 2004,
          > 166-168.
          >
          > Best, Mike

          Aha, it was Taoist. Nice, thanks.

          I guess I don't get a prize though since I didn't know the exact author. Tant pis.