Neoplatonism panels at the SAGP conference, Fordham 31 October - 2 November 2003

  • Cosmin I. Andron
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2003
      Dear List Members,

      As you might already know during 31 October - 2 November 2003 at Fordham
      University there will be the:

      <<The 21st annual meetings of Society for Ancient Greek Philosophy
      (SAGP); Society for the Study of Islamic Philosophy and Science (SSIPS),
      International Society for Neoplatonic Studies (ISNS); the 4th annual
      meeting of Association of Chinese Philosophers in America (ACPA),
      Council for Philosophical Studies of Neoplatonism (CPSN), and others>>

      At this conference there are few panels/papers on Neoplatonism which I
      copy below (please note: the conference programme is much bigger -
      contact A. Preus at: apreus@... for the full programme).

      Fri. 31 Oct.

      7:15–9:30 p.m. PLENARY PANEL : Sponsored by SAGP, CPSN, and ISNS:
      Neoplatonic Developments of Greek Philosophy
      Chair: TBA
      - John P. Anton (U. of S. Florida, Tampa), “Plato and Plotinus on the
      Ontic Hierarchies of the Good and the Beautiful”
      - [Denis O’Brien, (CNRS, Paris - Emeritus), Invited*]
      - [Brian Davies (Fordham U.), Invited*]

      Sat. 1 Nov. - Time TBA:

      Panel H: Time in Aristotle and Neoplatonism
      Session organizer and Chair: Helen Lang, (Villanova U.)
      - Jon McGinnis, (U. of Missouri, St. Louis), “A Time to Puzzle:
      Aristotle’s Puzzles Concerning Time”
      - Suzanne Stern-Gillet, (Bolton Institute, U.K.), “Plotinus and
      Anamnesis”
      - Denis O’Brien, (CNRS, Paris - Emeritus), “Plotinus and the Origin of
      Time”
      - Helen Lang, (Villanova U.), “Proclus on Time after Plato”

      Panel J: Islamic Philosophy I: Philosophical Theology
      (.......)
      - Daniel C. Peterson (Brigham Young U.), “Neoplatonic Emanation and the
      so-called “Creation Cosmogony in the Qur’an”

      Sun. 2 Nov. - Time TBA

      Panel F: Plotinus and Proclus
      Organized by CPSN. Chair: David Parry, (Pennsylvania State, Altoona)
      - Veronika Roth, (U. Köln, Germany), “The Third Man Argument: Vlastos’
      Analysis and Proclus’ Solution”
      - Deepa Majumdar, (Purdue U., North Central), “The Soul and the Self in
      Plotinus”
      - John Hendrix, (Roger Williams U.), “Plotinus and Anaximander”
      - Butler, Edward, (The New School for Social Research), “The Metaphysics
      of Polytheism in Proclus”

      With every best wish, yours
      Cosmin

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Cosmin I. Andron BA, MA (Cluj), PhD cand.

      Department of Classics
      Royal Holloway College
      University of London
      Egham
      Surrey TW20 OEX
      England

      Phone: 0044 (0) 7759 188 337
      Email: C.I.Andron@...

      Web page: www.cosmin-andron.com

      ---
      Outgoing mail from Mr. Cosmin I. Andron is certified Virus Free.