Neoplatonism panels at the SAGP conference, Fordham 31 October - 2 November 2003

  • Cosmin I. Andron
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2003
      Dear List Members,

      As you might already know during 31 October - 2 November 2003 at Fordham
      University there will be the:

      <<The 21st annual meetings of Society for Ancient Greek Philosophy
      (SAGP); Society for the Study of Islamic Philosophy and Science (SSIPS),
      International Society for Neoplatonic Studies (ISNS); the 4th annual
      meeting of Association of Chinese Philosophers in America (ACPA),
      Council for Philosophical Studies of Neoplatonism (CPSN), and others>>

      At this conference there are few panels/papers on Neoplatonism which I
      copy below (please note: the conference programme is much bigger -
      contact A. Preus at: apreus@... for the full programme).

      Fri. 31 Oct.

      7:15–9:30 p.m. PLENARY PANEL : Sponsored by SAGP, CPSN, and ISNS:
      Neoplatonic Developments of Greek Philosophy
      Chair: TBA
      - John P. Anton (U. of S. Florida, Tampa), “Plato and Plotinus on the
      Ontic Hierarchies of the Good and the Beautiful”
      - [Denis O’Brien, (CNRS, Paris - Emeritus), Invited*]
      - [Brian Davies (Fordham U.), Invited*]

      Sat. 1 Nov. - Time TBA:

      Panel H: Time in Aristotle and Neoplatonism
      Session organizer and Chair: Helen Lang, (Villanova U.)
      - Jon McGinnis, (U. of Missouri, St. Louis), “A Time to Puzzle:
      Aristotle’s Puzzles Concerning Time”
      - Suzanne Stern-Gillet, (Bolton Institute, U.K.), “Plotinus and
      - Denis O’Brien, (CNRS, Paris - Emeritus), “Plotinus and the Origin of
      - Helen Lang, (Villanova U.), “Proclus on Time after Plato”

      Panel J: Islamic Philosophy I: Philosophical Theology
      - Daniel C. Peterson (Brigham Young U.), “Neoplatonic Emanation and the
      so-called “Creation Cosmogony in the Qur’an”

      Sun. 2 Nov. - Time TBA

      Panel F: Plotinus and Proclus
      Organized by CPSN. Chair: David Parry, (Pennsylvania State, Altoona)
      - Veronika Roth, (U. Köln, Germany), “The Third Man Argument: Vlastos’
      Analysis and Proclus’ Solution”
      - Deepa Majumdar, (Purdue U., North Central), “The Soul and the Self in
      - John Hendrix, (Roger Williams U.), “Plotinus and Anaximander”
      - Butler, Edward, (The New School for Social Research), “The Metaphysics
      of Polytheism in Proclus”

      With every best wish, yours

      Cosmin I. Andron BA, MA (Cluj), PhD cand.

      Department of Classics
      Royal Holloway College
      University of London
      Surrey TW20 OEX

      Phone: 0044 (0) 7759 188 337
      Email: C.I.Andron@...

      Web page: www.cosmin-andron.com

      Outgoing mail from Mr. Cosmin I. Andron is certified Virus Free.