Re: New Publication - Lucas Holstenius (1596-1661)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1 12:22 PM
      --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, Christoph Helmig <Christoph.Helmig@...> wrote:

      > Dear all,
      >
      > recently, I have noticed the publication of a nice little volume dedicated to Lucas Holstenius:
      >
      > Lucas Holstenius (1596-1661). Ein Hamburger Humanist im Rom des Barock. Material zur Geschichte seiner Handschriftenschenkung an die Stadtbibliothek Hamburg. Bearbeitet von Gernot Bühring, Eva Horváth, Marina Molin-Pradel, Burkhard Reis, Bianca-Jeanette Schröder, Hans-Walter Stork. Hg. von Hans-Walter Stork (Verein für katholische Kirchengeschichte in Hamburg und Schleswig-Holstein. Beiträge und Mitteilungen Bd. 9). Husum 2008.

      Thanks, Christoph - I guess at least for me you just pointed out (yet another) Bildungsloch, as I had not been aware of his work. A couple of his editions are actually scanned in online, including a later 18th century edition of Porphyry's Cave of the Nymphs reprinting, it claims, Holstenius' edition and translation into Latin. Here his rendering into Latin hexameters of the famous verses of Homer:

      Stat ramis diffusa in portus vertice oliva:
      Quam propter jucundum antrum obscurumque recedit,
      Sacra domus Nymphis, quae Naiades indigitantur.
      Intus crateres, patulaeque ex marmore vivo
      Amphorae; apes dulci qua ponunt mella susurro.
      Saxea sunt intus quoque stamina longa, ubi Nynphae
      Purpureas texunt telas, mirabile visu.
      Intus perpetui latices. Sed ianua duplex:
      Haec boream spectans homines admittit: at illa
      Respiciens austrum divinior, invia prorsus
      Est homini, praebetque viam immortalibus unis.

      I like that, especially "apes dulci qua ponunt mella susurro". Virgilian, no? "Purpureas texunt telas, mirabile visu.
      Intus perpetui latices. Sed ianua duplex". Nice, I think. I like "latices" there for "hydata". I looked it up in Lewis and Short and appears of Lethe in Virgil and something similar in Lucretius. And that lovely word "susurrus" - actually already in Propertius but also famously at the beginning of Apuleius' Golden Ass.

      To say nothing of all that alliteration in "Saxea sunt intus quoque stamina longa." Is that more buzzing of the beezz? :)