New I Tatti Library offering

    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2009
      More Ficino now in the I Tatti series. The commentaries on Plato are next, starting with the Phaedrus and the Ion:

      Commentaries on Plato, Volume 1, Phaedrus and Ion
      Marsilio Ficino
      Edited and translated by Michael J. B. Allen
      Marsilio Ficino (1433–1499), the Florentine scholar-philosopher-magus, was largely responsible for the Renaissance revival of Plato. The publication of his Latin translations of the dialogues in 1484 was an intellectual event of the first magnitude, making the Platonic canon accessible to western Europe after the passing of a millennium and establishing Plato as an authority for Renaissance thought. This volume contains Ficino's extended analysis and commentary on the Phaedrus, which he explicates as a meditation on "beauty in all its forms" and a sublime work of theology. In the commentary on the Ion, Ficino explores a poetics of divine inspiration that leads to the Neoplatonist portrayal of the soul as a rhapsode whose song is an ascent into the mind of God. Both works bear witness to Ficino's attempt to revive a Christian Platonism and what might be called an Orphic Christianity.

      http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog/FICCOM.html