Fragments of Neopythagoreans

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2009
      Looking for input here on an idea, and anyone who wants to respond offlist to me personally, please do.

      I am trying to find a new personal project, and I always hope these things will actually see the light of day and be published somewhere, not just a vanity effort or private exercise, though I suppose it could end up on a webpage if nowhere else as a last resort. I had in mind something more ambitious and a personal stretch, that being some sort of translation work.

      My idea was to undertake what I suggested here recently, a collection of the fragments with English translation of Eudorus, Moderatus, Nicomachus, any other Neopythagorean bits that are relevant in the development of Platonism. It seems to me since this is not at all a huge body of texts, in fact quite small, that it ought to be manageable for me, but on the other hand I would hope useful to have them all together in one collection, with a decent commentary, bringing together what has already been written and I would hope I could add perhaps something new here and there if not necessarily earth shattering. Downside is that they are already available here and there mostly, though not all, in translation, in published studies and articles, though I think the Photian summary of Nicomachus' Theological Arithmetic that I would include is only in French in the Bude of Photius, and perhaps there isn't that much to be said that hasn't already been said on the commentary side, but to have them all together in one volume it seems would be if nothing else at least convenient, with both the Greek and translation together.

      Does anyone have any thoughts on the usefulness of such a volume or if anyone else is working on something like this? Not sure how one as an amateur would go about getting something like this published or if such is even possible, but perhaps that bridge need not be crossed until there is something worth publishing down on paper. Thanks in advance.