Giamblico Summa Pitagorica

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2009
      I just wanted to point out that this edition of the Pythagorean
      writings of Iamblichus by Francesco Romano, Bompiani, 2006, which
      arrived in record time in Seattle all the way from IBS in Italy is
      quite a nice package. If nothing else it is very handy to have all
      these texts in one book together - he has utilized all the standard
      textual editions, minus the full aparatus but with concern still for
      some textual issues. The volume includes also the Theologoumena
      Arithmeticae and translation along with the Greek texts and facing
      Italian translation of the 4 bona fide extant works of Iamblichus in
      his Pythagorean series. The translations of DCMS and the Nicomachus
      commentary are in fact the first in any modern language to date, as
      far as I know. He does include what appears to be a very decent notes
      on each work in the volumes as well, and a general introduction on
      Iamblichus and for each of the works included, reflecting the latest
      scholarship up to 2003 at least.

      A very nice volume indeed, and very reasonbaly priced in today's
      horrific market, especially since it's a nicely produced hardback.
      Don't know if it's been reviewed anywhere yet; I didn't see anythin
      at the Bryn Mawr review site.

      As Christoph said, the Moreschini de Mysteriis edition would be of
      value I think mostly as a translation, since the annotations are
      limited, certainly not as extensive as those of Dillon, Hershbell,
      and Clarke or Sodano's commentary, but with this text all help is
      appreciated of course.