Re: [neoplatonism] Plato/Hegel/Emerson philosophical mysticism: website and blog

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 11, 2008
      I think the lists where there was substantial philosophical discussion have been disappearing. There used to be a good neoplatonic themed list on Byzantine thought.
      It seems to have been down now for years. There was an Orthodox and Catholic
      philosophy list that is now gone. And there was a need for lists that never existed.
      I'm a comparative medievalist (Indian, Muslim, Byzantine, Latin) but am unaware of any lists with substantive discussion in comparative terms and there should be one. For
      example, the problem of individuation is fascinating when looked at in terms of how it
      was handled in the above-mentioned traditions. One Muslim thinker's treatment of it bears comparison to that of Royce. Time is another topic. Generally, while time seems to be regarded as a bad or inferior thing, beginning with the Greeks, and thus, you end up with some of the problems/paradoxes in divine knowledge and eternity vis a vis time, time
      is a divine attribute in the east. A third topic: three of the above-mentioned traditions
      read Aristotle's Posterior Analytics as a treatise in mystical theology on the perfection of the intellect. The perfection of intellectual apprehension and reasoning in these traditions share interesting parallels to the Buddhist meditative culture of stabilizing concentrative absorption and analytical insight. So, if you find such a list, let me know.

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 11, 2008
        Dear Dr Mether,

        You've outlined a fascinating and important domain for discussion.
        Have you considered setting up such a list (or lists) yourself? Your
        email and a quick google search make it clear that you have a great
        deal to share with us. Setting up a Yahoo group is not difficult. I
        would be a close listener and an occasional participant on such a list.

        Yours sincerely,
        Bob W.

        Robert Wallace
        website: www.robertmwallace.com (Philosophical Mysticism; The God of
        Freedom)
        email: Bob@...
        phone: 414-962-6934
      • jensav55
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 12, 2008
          Prof. Wallace--

          It's fortuitous that you posted here, as I was just thinking about
          e-mailing you to ask whether you'd ever read an article by Stanley
          Rosen called "Sôphrosunê and Selbstbewusstsein", Review of Metaphysics
          26.4, 1973. It's about Plato and Fichte; I think it would be right up
          your alley.

          Best wishes,
          Edward Butler