Please Post Message-Thanks

  • Lindsay Wong
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 5, 2008
      The University of California Press is pleased to announce the publication of:

      Neoplatonism

      Pauliina Remes, Docent of Theoretical Philosophy at the University of Helsinki, Finland, is the author of �Plotinus on Self: The Philosophy of �We.��

      http://go.ucpress.edu/Neoplatonism

      Although Neoplatonism has long been studied, until recently many had dismissed this complex system of ideas as more mystical than philosophical. Recent research, however, has provided a new perspective on this highly influential school of thought, which flourished in the pagan world of Greece and Rome up through late antiquity. Pauliina Remes's lucid, comprehensive, and up-to-date introduction reassesses Neoplatonism's philosophical credentials, from its founding by Plotinus (204-70, C.E.) through the closure of Plato's Academy in 529. Using an accessible, thematic approach, she explores the ideas of leading Neoplatonists such as Porphyry, Iamblichus, Proclus, Simplicius, and Damascius, as well as less well-known thinkers. She situates their ideas alongside classical Platonism, Stoicism, and the neo-Pythagoreans as well as other intellectual movements of the time, including Gnosticism, Judaism, and Christianity. She also considers Neoplatonism's enduring
      legacy in the history of philosophical thought, providing a gateway to Neoplatonism for contemporary readers.

      Copub: Acumen Publishing Limited

      Full information about the book is available online: http://go.ucpress.edu/Neoplatonism

    • John Uebersax
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 5, 2008
        Interesting book which I will be sure to investigate further.

        But can anyone explain the significance of the rather racey cover?

        John Uebersax
      • Adamson, Peter
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 6, 2008
          Hi folks,

          It's the philosopher Hypatia, painted by Charles William Mitchell (so says the back of the book).

          Cheerio.
          Peter

          peter.adamson@...

          Philosophy Dept.
          King's College London
          Strand
          London WC2R 2LS
          UK
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 6, 2008
            Charles William Mitchell was a Pre-Raphaelite.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_William_Mitchell
            The painting does not, in my view, capture to spirit of the Hellenistic
            world, but perhaps the publishers thought to would boost sales.

            Malcolm

            It's the philosopher Hypatia, painted by Charles William Mitchell (so says the back of the book).

            Cheerio.

            Peter

            peter.adamson@ kcl.ac.uk

            Philosophy Dept.

            King's College London

            Strand

            London WC2R 2LS

            UK

            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 6, 2008
              --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Schosha
              <malcolmschosha@...> wrote:

              > Charles William Mitchell was a Pre-Raphaelite.
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_William_Mitchell
              > The painting does not, in my view, capture to spirit of the
              Hellenistic
              > world, but perhaps the publishers thought to would boost sales.
              >
              > Malcolm

              Odd I thought I knew all the Pre-Raphaelites and representations of
              Hypatia, but not this one. Somehow, given her famous or infamous
              comment to one of her admirers who fancied her, I don't think she
              would be amused by this portrait at all.

              Now that this subject has come up, does anyone have any opinions of
              this (relatively) new biography of Hypatia by Michael Deakin? Here's
              a link to it at Barnes and Noble:

              http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Hypatia-of-Alexandria/Michael-A-B-
              Deakin/e/9781591025207/?itm=5

              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 6, 2008
                <malcolmschosha@...> wrote:

                > Charles William Mitchell was a Pre-Raphaelite.
                > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_William_Mitchell
                > The painting does not, in my view, capture to spirit of the
                Hellenistic
                > world, but perhaps the publishers thought to would boost sales.
                >
                > Malcolm

                Forget the biography and just wait for the major motion picture!
                Apparently a film, <Agora>, is being made now about Hypatia. Why it
                would be called that escapes me. Here is the synopsis from IMDB:

                "A historical drama set in Roman Egypt, concerning a slave who turns
                to the rising tide of Christianity in the hopes of pursuing freedom
                while also falling in love with his master, the famous female
                philosophy professor and atheist Hypatia of Alexandria."

                http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1186830/

                And Synesius is listed as a character, no less, as are Orestes and
                Cyril. Rachel Weisz is portraying Hypatia, and the late Anthony
                Minghella's son plays the above-mentioned slave. Most curious.

                And this from the film blog at the Guardian in the UK from March of
                this year:

                'Filming is to start this week on Agora, Alejandro Amenábar's next
                English-language film after The Others. As a Classics spod, I never
                imagined in my wildest dreams that Hollywood would make a film set in
                the ancient library of Alexandria but, as Sophocles would say, polla
                ta deina (or, roughly translated, wonders never cease).

                According to Amenábar, "It's amazing to think that [ancient
                Alexandria] should be condemned to oblivion, not least by filmmakers.
                Our entire team is devoted to bringing ancient Alexandria back to
                life by using a hyper-realist approach. We want the audience to see,
                feel and smell a remote civilization as if it were as real as the
                present day."'

                http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2008/mar/17/bloodonthescrollsa
                lexandri

                I guess also they are putting her in defence of the Library. That
                may not be so accurate, since it likely by her period had fallen on
                hard times, if not already been totaly destroyed. According to
                another little blurb I found online, the director is also the writer,
                and it's being shot on Malta.

                Will this be the first time a Neoplatonist, or two I suppose if you
                count her and Synesius, has been on film?

                Does this mean we should we expect the life story of Proclus on the
                big screen any time soon?

                Dennis Clark
              • John Uebersax
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 6, 2008
                  --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "vaeringjar" <vaeringjar@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Odd I thought I knew all the Pre-Raphaelites and representations of
                  > Hypatia, but not this one. Somehow, given her famous or infamous
                  > comment to one of her admirers who fancied her, I don't think she
                  > would be amused by this portrait at all.
                  >
                  > Now that this subject has come up, does anyone have any opinions of
                  > this (relatively) new biography of Hypatia by Michael Deakin?
                  Here's
                  > a link to it at Barnes and Noble:
                  >
                  > http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Hypatia-of-Alexandria/Michael-A-B-
                  > Deakin/e/9781591025207/?itm=5

                  I've not seen this book yet (thanks for mentioning it) but I did read
                  the biography of Hypatia by Maria Dzielska:

                  http://www.amazon.com/Hypatia-Alexandria-Revealing-Antiquity-
                  Dzielska/dp/0674437764/

                  The editorial review of the Deakins book says: "Her life ended
                  tragically in violence at the hands of a rampaging mob of Christian
                  fanatics, who killed her for her 'pagan' beliefs" -- which is of
                  course the popular view (epitomized by the portrayal of Edward
                  Gibbon).

                  It seems implausible to me that Hypatia would have been killed merely
                  for "pagan beliefs." First, from the Dzielska book, it seems that
                  there was a serious political struggle going on in which Hypatia was
                  centrally involved', and a political motive seems more likely.

                  Further, it seems implausible that an accusation merely of pagan
                  beliefs would incite a mob action; I seem to recall in the Dzielska
                  book that the accusations more concerned specific charges of
                  witchcraft -- alleged magical activities which intentionally produced
                  certain evils that befell the Alexandarians (or the Christian
                  community).

                  John Uebersax
                • John Dilon
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 7, 2008

                    > --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com <mailto:neoplatonism%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                    > "vaeringjar" <vaeringjar@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    >> > Odd I thought I knew all the Pre-Raphaelites and representations of
                    >> > Hypatia, but not this one. Somehow, given her famous or infamous
                    >> > comment to one of her admirers who fancied her, I don't think she
                    >> > would be amused by this portrait at all.
                    >> >
                    >> > Now that this subject has come up, does anyone have any opinions of
                    >> > this (relatively) new biography of Hypatia by Michael Deakin?
                    > Here's
                    >> > a link to it at Barnes and Noble:
                    >> >
                    >> > http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Hypatia-of-Alexandria/Michael-A-B-
                    >> > Deakin/e/9781591025207/?itm=5
                    >
                    > I've not seen this book yet (thanks for mentioning it) but I did read
                    > the biography of Hypatia by Maria Dzielska:
                    >
                    > http://www.amazon.com/Hypatia-Alexandria-Revealing-Antiquity-
                    > Dzielska/dp/0674437764/
                    >
                    > The editorial review of the Deakins book says: "Her life ended
                    > tragically in violence at the hands of a rampaging mob of Christian
                    > fanatics, who killed her for her 'pagan' beliefs" -- which is of
                    > course the popular view (epitomized by the portrayal of Edward
                    > Gibbon).
                    >
                    > It seems implausible to me that Hypatia would have been killed merely
                    > for "pagan beliefs." First, from the Dzielska book, it seems that
                    > there was a serious political struggle going on in which Hypatia was
                    > centrally involved', and a political motive seems more likely.
                    >
                    > Further, it seems implausible that an accusation merely of pagan
                    > beliefs would incite a mob action; I seem to recall in the Dzielska
                    > book that the accusations more concerned specific charges of
                    > witchcraft -- alleged magical activities which intentionally produced
                    > certain evils that befell the Alexandarians (or the Christian
                    > community).
                    >
                    > John Uebersax

                    She was a serious bluestocking, and far too politically influential to suit
                    the Patriarch Cyril. JMD

                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 7, 2008
                      > I've not seen this book yet (thanks for mentioning it) but I did
                      read
                      > the biography of Hypatia by Maria Dzielska:
                      >
                      > http://www.amazon.com/Hypatia-Alexandria-Revealing-Antiquity-
                      > Dzielska/dp/0674437764/

                      I found a review of it online, by a mathematics professor, and the
                      author of the new biography is himself a mathematician, but it is
                      still a general biography. The review was not all positive -
                      apparently Deakin spends a goodly amount of time analyzing theories
                      of the Trinity - I haven't studied Hypatia in a long time, since I
                      read Dzielska's book, but I can't for the life of me fathom why he
                      would need to delve into that subject in a biography of Hypatia, and
                      the reviewer furthermore faulted him for citing Augustine on the
                      subject as inappropriate, too Western, for Alexandria. The new book
                      does have the advantage of including all the relevant primary source
                      material on Hypatia - not that that takes up too many pages, but
                      always nice to have such things in one place for handy reference, I
                      suppose.

                      It's been ages - 10 years? - since I read Dzielska, but I vaguely
                      remember being rather disappointed by it, though admittedly I don't
                      remember exactly why.

                      Edward Watts has a recent piece on her that I have not read yet in
                      the collection <Violence in Late Antiquity>, and he discusses her in
                      his <City and School> book. Parts of the recent essay are online at
                      Google books:

                      http://books.google.com/books?
                      id=NbYd3WXfc1cC&pg=PA333&lpg=PA333&dq=edward+watt+hypatia&source=web&o
                      ts=lNL7NatqeE&sig=YqkukupQYm1aTS-
                      axUxQLA4mNJI&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

                      > The editorial review of the Deakins book says: "Her life ended
                      > tragically in violence at the hands of a rampaging mob of Christian
                      > fanatics, who killed her for her 'pagan' beliefs" -- which is of
                      > course the popular view (epitomized by the portrayal of Edward
                      > Gibbon).
                      >
                      > It seems implausible to me that Hypatia would have been killed
                      merely
                      > for "pagan beliefs." First, from the Dzielska book, it seems that
                      > there was a serious political struggle going on in which Hypatia
                      was
                      > centrally involved', and a political motive seems more likely.
                      >
                      > Further, it seems implausible that an accusation merely of pagan
                      > beliefs would incite a mob action; I seem to recall in the Dzielska
                      > book that the accusations more concerned specific charges of
                      > witchcraft -- alleged magical activities which intentionally
                      produced
                      > certain evils that befell the Alexandarians (or the Christian
                      > community).
                      >
                      > John Uebersax

                      As Prof Dillon said, Cyril has the blood mostly if not all on his
                      hands here, and it's mostly political, as she got caught in a
                      political struggle between him and the city prefect Orestes, but I
                      still have to wonder if her pagan status didn't also contribute to
                      her demise, or at least to the extremely vicious nature of it, or at
                      least it didn't help matters. Hard to say, perhaps unless one could
                      get into the heads of the perpetrators of such hideous acts. Watts
                      describes the whole affair in that new article.

                      Personally I wonder how much of all that will be in the new film. I
                      can imagine it not being handled all that well, but in this case one
                      thing is certain: there is no need to hype the ugliness for dramatic
                      effect - life itself was quite cruel enough at the end for Hypatia
                      without any need for artistic license or exaggeration.

                      Dennis Clark
                    • Curt Steinmetz
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 7, 2008
                        John Uebersax wrote:

                        > It seems implausible to me that Hypatia would have been killed merely
                        > for "pagan beliefs."

                        Recall that this was an era when people said, with complete sincerity,
                        such things as "There is no crime for those who have Christ."

                        Curt Steinmetz
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 7, 2008
                          > As Prof Dillon said, Cyril has the blood mostly if not all on his
                          > hands here, and it's mostly political, as she got caught in a
                          > political struggle between him and the city prefect Orestes,

                          There I go again, muddling it - Orestes was actually the prefect of all
                          Egypt.

                          Dennis Clark
                        • Edward Moore
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 7, 2008
                            One should be careful not to remove that statement from the theological context in which it was uttered.

                            Edward

                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 7, 2008
                              --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Moore" <patristics@...>
                              wrote:

                              > One should be careful not to remove that statement from the
                              theological context in which it was uttered.

                              > Edward

                              I'll bite - what exactly was the context of the remark, and who said
                              it?

                              I have never heard this before, and I have read quite a bit on the
                              subject of the struggle between Christianity and Paganism - Twombley,
                              Chuvin, McMullen. Tried to look the quotation up online but got way
                              too many hits on a new book with that same title, on religious
                              violence in the late empire, that does sound worth reading:

                              http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/9582.php

                              Dennis Clark

                            • Edward Moore
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 7, 2008
                                St. Paul, Epistle to the Romans 8:1.

                                Sure, there were certain Christian 'gnostics' who thought it wise to continue sinning so that "grace may abound," and others who felt that "being right with God" gave them license to do what they wished. But as Paul's remarks in this chapter make clear, such an interpretation falls *ahem* short of the mark.

                                Edward

                                > One should be careful not to remove that statement from the
                                theological context in which it was uttered.

                                > Edward

                                I'll bite - what exactly was the context of the remark, and who said
                                it?

                                I have never heard this before, and I have read quite a bit on the
                                subject of the struggle between Christianity and Paganism - Twombley,
                                Chuvin, McMullen. Tried to look the quotation up online but got way
                                too many hits on a new book with that same title, on religious
                                violence in the late empire, that does sound worth reading:

                                http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/9582.php

                                Dennis Clark

                              • Curt Steinmetz
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 7, 2008
                                  The book is definitely worth reading - and it's currently on sale!
                                  However, the focus is primarily on inter-Christian violence - with less
                                  attention to conflicts between Christians and Pagans.

                                  The book does provide the backstory for the quote - as follows:

                                  "In the early fifth century, the Egyptian monk Shenoute isssued an open
                                  letter containing a thundering denunciation of a local pagan magnate.
                                  Shenoute and his followers had taken the law into their own hands,
                                  ransacked the pagan's house, and smashed his idols. In response to the
                                  magnate's accusation of lesteia - banditry, crime, illegal violence -
                                  against him, Shenoute proclaimed that 'there is no crime for those who
                                  have Christ.'"

                                  Curt

                                  P.S. See the University of California Press website for sale prices on
                                  books - sale ends TODAY, btw.

                                  vaeringjar wrote:
                                  > --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Moore" <patristics@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> One should be careful not to remove that statement from the
                                  >>
                                  > theological context in which it was uttered.
                                  >
                                  >> Edward
                                  >>

                                  > I'll bite - what exactly was the context of the remark, and who said
                                  > it?
                                  >
                                  > I have never heard this before, and I have read quite a bit on the
                                  > subject of the struggle between Christianity and Paganism - Twombley,
                                  > Chuvin, McMullen. Tried to look the quotation up online but got way
                                  > too many hits on a new book with that same title, on religious
                                  > violence in the late empire, that does sound worth reading:
                                  >
                                  > http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/9582.php
                                  >
                                  > Dennis Clark

                                • Bradley Skene
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 7, 2008
                                    One dimension of Cyril's conflict with the emperor (the larger framework of
                                    Hypatia's murder) was the fact that he (Cyril) was monophysite.
                                    One source claims Cyril decided to have her killed when he grew jealous of
                                    the fact that she was admitted ot Orestes' salutatio every morning, even
                                    though she was a 'pagan,' while he, as a heretic was excluded.

                                    Cheers,

                                    Bradley A. Skene

                                    On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 12:13 PM, vaeringjar <vaeringjar@...> wrote:

                                    > apparently Deakin spends a goodly amount of time analyzing theories
                                    > of the Trinity - I haven't studied Hypatia in a long time, since I
                                    > read Dzielska's book, but I can't for the life of me fathom why he
                                    > would need to delve into that subject in a biography of Hypatia,...
                                    >

                                    > Personally I wonder how much of all that will be in the new film. ...

                                  • Christoph Helmig
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 8, 2008
                                      Dear all,

                                      just a word on Deakin's new book on Hypatia. It includes a short
                                      section on the trinity (pp. 39-41, in the chapter "The Religious
                                      Background"), but the author is more interested in Hypatia's studies
                                      of mathematics and astronomy (pp. 87-113 plus an appendix
                                      "Mathematical Details", pp.115-126). Deakin's study contains extensive
                                      notes (pp. 161-213) and a translation of the primary sources on
                                      Hypatia that came down to us (pp. 137-159; these translations are
                                      mostly based on Migne and I haven't checked them yet; see also Ian
                                      Mueller, "Hypatia", in: Grinstein/Campbell, Women of Mathematics,
                                      Westport 1987, 74-79 which Deakin calls "the best accessible summary
                                      of all"). Moreover, there is an index and a useful annotated
                                      bibliography (not always up to date, but very good for older studies,
                                      before 1900). Strangely enough, Deakin is using Migne for most (not
                                      all) authors quoted, but then, again, the author is probably more of a
                                      mathematician with an interest in the history of science.

                                      See also: http://wwmat.mat.fc.ul.pt/~jnsilva/Sherlock/hypatia2.pdf

                                      I find it very difficult to judge the overall quality of Deakin's
                                      book, but it is certainly very different from other 'Hypatian folklore'.

                                      Best,
                                      Christoph

                                    • John Uebersax
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 10, 2008
                                        In this article, found online, Deakin summarizes the primary sources
                                        on Hypatia:

                                        The Primary Sources for the Life and Work of Hypatia of Alexandria
                                        http://www.polyamory.org/~howard/Hypatia/primary-sources.html

                                        Some online English translations of the material are as follows:

                                        The Life of Hypatia
                                        Damascius's Life of Isidore, reproduced in The Suda
                                        Translated by Jeremiah Reedy
                                        http://cosmopolis.com/alexandria/hypatia-bio-suda.htmlFrom

                                        The Life of Hypatia, Socrates Scholasticus, from his Ecclesiastical
                                        History
                                        http://www.cosmopolis.com/alexandria/hypatia-bio-socrates.html

                                        (but, as the Deakin article above notes, surrounding sections of
                                        Socrates are also useful to describe the historical context)

                                        The Life of Hypatia, John, Bishop of Nikiu, from his Chronicle 84.87-103
                                        http://www.cosmopolis.com/alexandria/hypatia-bio-john.html

                                        Also this page contains links to quite a bit of information:

                                        http://www.polyamory.org/~howard/Hypatia/index.html

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Nov 10, 2008
                                          --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "John Uebersax"
                                          <john.uebersax@...> wrote:

                                          > In this article, found online, Deakin summarizes the primary sources
                                          > on Hypatia:
                                          >
                                          > The Primary Sources for the Life and Work of Hypatia of Alexandria
                                          > http://www.polyamory.org/~howard/Hypatia/primary-sources.html

                                          Nice to have all these references pulled together - I just wish, as
                                          Christoph said, that more recent editions rather than the PG had been
                                          cited - one that jumps out is the Letters of Synesius. There is a new
                                          edition from Belles Lettres in 2000 now, a two volume Bude. That's
                                          mostly a matter of just substituting where possible.