Re: [neoplatonism] Re: The terms

  • John Uebersax
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
      Also Enneads 5.1.4:

      "That archetypal world is the true Golden Age, age of Kronos, who is
      the Intellectual-Principle as being the offspring or exuberance of God.
      For here is contained all that is immortal: nothing here but is Divine
      Mind; all is God; this is the place of every soul."

      Carl Jung presented the history of the term is as follows:

      The term 'archetype' occurs as early as Philo Judaeus, with reference to the _Imago Dei_ (God-image) in man.  It can also be found in Irenaeus, who says: 'The creator of the world did not fashion these things directly from himself but copied them from archetypes outside himself.'  In the _Corpus Hermeticum_, God is called to {archetupon phos [Greek]}
      (archetypal light).  The term occurs several times in Dionysius the Areopagite, as for instance in _De caelesti hierarchia_, II, 4: 'immaterial Archetypes,' and in _De divinis nominibut_, I, 6: 'Archetypal stone.'  The term 'archetype' is not found in St. Augustine, but the idea of it is.  Thus in _De diversis questionibus LXXXIII_ he speaks of '_ideae principales_, "which are themselves not formed...but are contained in the divine understanding."' 'Archetype' is an explanatory paraphrase of the Platonic {eidos [Greek]}.

      Notes:
      Philo Judaeus (De opf. mundi, I.69)
      Irenaeus (Adv. haer., II.7.5),
      Corpus Hermeticum (I.8, II.12),
      Ps.-Dionysius (De cael. hier., II.4; De div. nom., I.6);

      C.G. Jung, R.F.C. Hull (trans.)

      The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious (The Collected Works of
      C. G. Jung, Vol. 9, Part 1).  Princeton: Princeton University Press,
      1981 (pp. 4-5).

      John Uebersax

      From: pronoia12 <pronoia@nni. com>

      Subject: [neoplatonism] Re: The terms

      To: neoplatonism@ yahoogroups. com

      Date: Friday, August 29, 2008, 12:39 PM

      I think this question came up once before here. Plato does not use

      the word archetupon or archetupos. I don't know the earliest usage by

      it is a popular term in Philo of Alexandria, Plotinus, and Gregory of

      Nyssa.

      Marilynn