Re: Two-part lecture on Pythagoreanism

  • David Fideler
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2008
      Hi John,

      That lecture series they have is indeed somewhat encouraging.
      They offer the lectures for free to the public and I think it's
      underwritten by the Templeton Foundation, but I'm not absolutely
      certain.

      On the other hand:

      Aside from being invited to write the encyclopedia article on
      "Pythagoras and Pythagoreanism" for the NEW DICTIONARY OF
      THE HISTORY OF IDEAS, this is the first paying lecture I've been
      invited to give since publishing THE PYTHAGOREAN SOURCEBOOK
      AND LIBRARY over 20 years ago.

      That is not a good indicator of the health of intellectual life,
      especially considering how important and timely the idea (and
      reality) of harmony actually is.

      I hate to wander into politics, but the fact that Bush was elected to
      two terms in the U.S. is also a very negative litmus test of the
      current intellectual climate here in America.

      Aside from that, if anyone reading this would be interested in
      sponsoring me to give a lecture or lecture series at their institution
      on cosmos and harmony, I'm open to invitations. I have a lot of
      great visuals, and the approach that I'm taking in the second lecture
      is to show how postmodern developments in science and mathematics
      support and enhance Pythagorean and Platonic ideas of harmony
      and cosmology. In mathematics you can see this in dynamical
      systems theory (including fractal geometry) and in the life sciences
      you can see it in discoveries like symbiosis and the coevolution of
      living systems (think harmonic reciprocity).

      One good point that R. Baine Harris once made is that any inclusive
      philosophy is both analytic and synthetic, but that we've pretty much
      lost appreciation for real synthetic thought. One of the contributions
      that Pythagoreanism and Platonism could make is a contribution to
      synthetic thought, if approached in a serious, rigorous way.

      David

      --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, John Uebersax <john.uebersax@...> wrote:

      > Dear David,
      >
      > > http://www.collegiatepeaksforum org/
      >
      > A visit to this Collegiate Peaks Forum Series website is to see that intellectual life in the
      US is continuing and contributing in a vital way to the future.