RE: [neoplatonism] Proclus vs Plotinus

  • F
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17 12:15 AM
      In the italian translation of “La repubblica vol. V. Libro VI-VII”, Napoli:
      Bibliopolis, , there is an interesting paper written by Michele Abbate, “Il
      Bene nell’interpretazione di Plotino e di Proclo” ; according to Abbate, the
      principle, in Plotinus, is “absolute and perfect auto-identity” whereas it
      is, in Proclus, “abyss of difference”. I’m not really convinced by his
      demonstration.

      There is also an paper by Beierwaltes (unfortunately, I never found it) : «
      Die Entfaltung der Einheit. Zur Differenz plotinischen und proklischen
      Denkens », Theta Pi, 2 (1973), p. 126-161

      On the question of the soul, the bibliography is quite important (the
      distinction is emphasized or diminished according to the commentators); for
      example :

      - L.Westra, « Proclus’ascent of the soul towards the one in the
      Elements of theology : is it plotinian ? » in Proclus et son influence :
      Actes du colloque de Neuchatel 1985, Zürich : éditions du Grand Midi,
      1987,129-143 (opposition between the freedom of the ascension in Plotinus
      and the necessity in Proclus)

      - W. Beierwaltes, « Das Problem der Erkenntnis bei Proklos », De
      Jamblique à Proclus, Genève : Fondation Hardt, 1975, p. 174-176

      - J. Trouillard, dans L’Un et l’Ame selon Proclos, Paris : Les Belles
      Lettres, 1972, p. 50-51

      - C.Steel, « Proclus on the innate knowledge of the soul » in J. J.
      Cleary (ed.) The Perennial Tradition of Neoplatonism, Leuven : Leuven
      University Press, 1997, p. 306-307

      - H.Blumenthal, « The psychology of Plotinus and Later Platonism »,
      », in J. J. Cleary (ed.) The Perennial Tradition of Neoplatonism, Leuven :
      Leuven University Press, 1997, p. 269-290

      Regards,

      Frédéric

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 17 1:50 AM

        > I wonder how easy it is to present bullet-wise the issues that Proclus and
        > Plotinus differ in their philosophies, besides the famous issue whether the
        > soul descents in full or not ( re Elements of Theology 211 ).
        >
        > Are there any papers or book references that deal with the differences between
        > Proclus and Plotinus ?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > George

        Not that much, except of course in the elaboration of their respective
        metaphysical schemes. But there is also a dispute as to the nature of evil
        and its relation to matter. See Proclus¹ essay on Matter and Evil in the
        Budé edition, and introduction thereto. JMD

      • Adamson, Peter
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 17 2:08 AM
          Hello all,

          >Are there any papers or book references that deal with the differences between Proclus and Plotinus ?

          I'd take a look at the nice overview article of Proclus by Christoph Horn, which is the first piece in this volume:

          M. Perkams and R.M. Piccione (eds), Proklos. Methode, Seelenlehre, Metaphysik. Leiden: Brill, 2006.

          Just to warn you, it is in German; I remember reading it and thinking I wished I could use it for teaching. That volume has several good pieces, in both English and German.

          Best,
          Peter