FW: Medieval and Byzantine Philosophy

  • Cosmin I. Andron
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2003
      I thought this is kinda' relevant (?)
      Best,

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Philosophy in Europe On Behalf Of Constantinos Athanasopoulos
      Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 10:19 PM
      Subject: Medieval and Byzantine Philosophy

      Dear All
      I have just come across a book which is extremely useful for all who
      research into the relation (and opposition) of Medieval and Byzantine
      Philosophy and Theology. The book is:
      Philip Sherrard, The Greek East and the Latin West: A Study in the
      Christian Tradition, Limni, Evia, Greece: Denise Harvey and Co., 1992
      (ISBN 960-7120-04-3).
      The book is in English and of particular interest is the analysis of the
      differentiation between Medieval and Byzantine Philosophy, the Christian
      and non-Christian Byzantine Philosophy, as well as the relation of
      Augustine and Aquinas in the formulation of the Roman-Catholic Dogma and
      the metaphysics, ethics and political philosophy of the main medieval
      philosophy figures. It has an informative index of names and an Appendix
      with analysis about Chruch and State in Modern Greece.
      Best wishes
      CA

      Dr. Constantinos Athanasopoulos (Ph.D. in Philosophy, Glasgow)
      6 Hiolkou St., Kamatero, Athens 13451-Greece
      Fax: +30-2-10-2383613, E-mail: cathanas@...
      Web Pages (University Lecturer in Philosophy- Philosophical Consultant
      -CV)
      http://homepages.pathfinder.gr/cathanas
      http://www.geocities.com/splind0r/indexEN.html
      Author of the Modern Ethical Theory book The Ethical Nature and the
      Freedom
      of the Person: Ideas and Personalities of Modern Ethics (16th-19th
      century)
      (in Greek language), ISBN: 960-402-044-7
      web-page: http://www.dardanosnet.gr/home/book-details.php?id=914
      2003

      ---
      Outgoing mail from Mr. Cosmin I. Andron is certified Virus Free.
      2003