Need help finding Proclus passage

  • Marilynn Lawrence Moore
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2008
      Could someone help me find a passage from in. Parm noted by
      Siovanes as 54.21-7, Klibansky? The translation he gives
      begins, "The Love of the One is inextinguishable. This is
      indded why this love is real, even though the One is
      incomprehensive and unknown."

      I don't know how these numbers map to the Cousin numbers.
      I searched for Ero^s, Philia and related words, and
      couldn't find anything in the Greek that matches the
      translation.

      Thanks!

      Marilynn
      http://www.nni.com/
    • Curt Steinmetz
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2008
        If someone tells you off-list could you please share with the group? Thanks!
        Curt Steinmetz

        Marilynn Lawrence Moore wrote:
        > Could someone help me find a passage from in. Parm noted by
        > Siovanes as 54.21-7, Klibansky? The translation he gives
        > begins, "The Love of the One is inextinguishable. This is
        > indded why this love is real, even though the One is
        > incomprehensive and unknown."
        >
        > I don't know how these numbers map to the Cousin numbers.
        > I searched for Ero^s, Philia and related words, and
        > couldn't find anything in the Greek that matches the
        > translation.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Marilynn

      • John Dilon
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2008

          > Could someone help me find a passage from in. Parm noted by
          > Siovanes as 54.21-7, Klibansky? The translation he gives
          > begins, "The Love of the One is inextinguishable. This is
          > indded why this love is real, even though the One is
          > incomprehensive and unknown."
          >
          > I don't know how these numbers map to the Cousin numbers.
          > I searched for Ero^s, Philia and related words, and
          > couldn't find anything in the Greek that matches the
          > translation.
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Marilynn

          No, you wouldn't find the words in Greek, because this part is only in Latin
          (except in the back-translation by --- and Carlos Steel) . It is tacked on
          to the end of the Cousin text. JMD
        • Marilynn Lawrence Moore
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2, 2008
            Well, now, that explains it! Thank you.

            I was provided offlist with the Latin and more details:

            "... propter hoc amorem unius inextinguibilem, qua quidem
            existit, etsi incomprehensibile sit et incognoscibile;
            inspectiuam autem quandoque elaborare et deficere
            incognitis incidentem; et propter hoc et tacitam
            intelligentiam esse ante elocutionalem et desiderium ante
            omnem intelligentiam inexpressibile et intelligentia ex
            partibus insidens." (Steel, p.509-510)

            Generally, Guillaume de Moerbeke translates eros by amor.

            This translation has been edited by C.Steel (Proclus,
            Commentaire sur le Parménide de Platon, traduction de
            Guillaume de Moerbeke, Leuven University Press, 1985).
            C.Steel has tempted to translate the latin version in greek
            in Steel, C. / Rumbach, F., "The final section of Proclus'
            commentary on the Parmenides. A Greek retroversion of the
            Latin translation", with an English translation by D.G.
            MacIsaac, Documenti e studi sulla tradizione filosofica
            medievale 7 (1997), 211-267.