Book announcement

  • Suzanne Stern-Gillet
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4 2:51 PM
      Dear Marilyn,

      Attached is a book announcement. Will you circulate it or should I ask
      Edward Moore?

      Best,

      Suzanne

    • Marilynn Lawrence Moore
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4 5:02 PM
        The list is set to reject attached files, so I'm pasting the description
        below:

        Suzanne Stern-Gillet and Kevin Corrigan (edd.), Reading Ancient Texts.
        Essays in Honour of Denis O'Brien. Vol I: Presocratics and Plato. Vol. II:
        Aristotle and Neoplatonism

        Contents of Volume I:
        F. Fronterotta: 'Some Remarks on Noein in Parmenides'
        M. Rashed: 'The Structure of the Eye and its Cosmological Function in
        Empedocles. Reconstruction of Fragment 84 D.-K.'
        J.-C. Picot: 'Empedocles, Fragment 115.3: Can One of the Blessed Pollute his
        Limbs with Blood?'
        C. Huffman: 'Philolaus and the Central Fire'
        C. J. Gill: 'Self-Knowledge in Plato's Alcibiades'
        T. Ebert: 'Socrates on the Definition of Figure in the Meno'
        R.K. Sprague: 'Plato's Phaedo as Protreptic'
        J.C.G. Strachan: 'An Absurd Question: Plato, Symposium 199D'
        J.-F. Pradeau, 'Tumescence and Spiritual Seed in the Phaedrus'
        N. Notomi: 'Plato against Parmenides: Sophist 236D-242B'
        K.M. Sayre: 'Dialectic by Negation in Three Late Dialogues'
        A Detailed Bibliography of Denis O'Brien's Works

        Contents of Volume II:

        C. Natali: 'Aristotle's Conception of Dunamis and Techne'
        C. Viano: 'Aristotle and the Starting Point of Moral Development: the Notion
        of Natural Virtue'
        J. Cleary: 'Akrasia and Moral Education in Aristotle'
        T. Buchheim: 'Effective Primary Causes: the Notion of Contact and the
        Possibility of Acting without Being Affected in Aristotle's De Generatione
        et Corruptione'
        K. Corrigan: 'The Organisation of the Soul: some Overlooked Aspects of
        Interpretation from Plato to Late Antiquity'
        F.M. Schroeder: 'The Final Metamorphosis: Narrative Voice in the Prologue of
        Apuleius' Golden Ass'
        G. Gurtler S.J.: 'Omnipresence and Transcendence of the One in VI 5[23]'
        C. Horn: 'The Concept of Will in Plotinus'
        J.-M. Narbonne: 'Divine Freedom in Plotinus and Iamblichus (Tractate VI
        8[39] 7, 11-15 and De Mysteriis III, 17-20)
        P. Thillet: 'Was the Vita Plotini known in Arab Philosophical Circles?'
        G. O'Daly: 'Friendship and Transgression: Luminosus Limes Amicitiae
        (Augustine, Confessions 2.2.2.) and the Themes of Confessions 2'
        S. Stern-Gillet: 'Augustine and the Philosophical Foundations of Sincerity'
        D. Evans 'Innovation and Continuity in the History of Philosophy'
        A Detailed Bibliography of Denis O'Brien's Works

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 24, 2014
          Could I announce to the group the publication of a book that might be of
          interest: Divination and Theurgy in Neoplatonism: Oracles of the Gods, by
          Dr. Crystal Addey, currently of the University of St. Andrew's (Ashgate:
          Farnham). A certain John Dillon has commented on the back cover:
          "Crystal Addey has given us a book to be welcomed warmly, reminding us of
          what an essential role 'practical' relations with the gods maintains in
          later Neoplatonism. Like it or not, Platonism is a religion as well as a
          philosophy, and Dr. Addey masterfully explores the implications of that,
          while relating the religion to the philosophy."
          I think I would stand over that! JMD
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 29, 2014
            Thanks, John - really looking forward to reading it. I noticed there is a preview at the Ashgate site:

            http://www.ashgate.com/isbn/9781409451525

            Dennis Clark
          • John Dillon
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 29, 2014
              Re: [neoplatonism] Re: Book announcement

              Thanks, John - really looking forward to reading it. I noticed there is a preview at the Ashgate site:

              http://www.ashgate.com/isbn/9781409451525

              Dennis Clark

              Yes, that’s nice, Dennis. Thanks for putting me on to it. John