Fw: two new books on Platonism

  • Edward Moore
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2008
      From: "Mauro Bonazzi" <mauro.bonazzi@...>
      To: <neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com>; <patristics@...>
      Sent: Friday, February 01, 2008 6:59 AM
      Subject: two new books on Platonism

      1)
      M. Bonazzi, C. Lévy, C. Steel éds
      A Platonic Pythagoras. Platonism and Pythagoreanism in the Imperial age
      Turnhout, Brepols
      Diatribai, II
      collection Monothéismes et philosophie,
      2007
      ISBN 978-2-503-51915-9
      249 pages
      45 euros
      http://www.brepols.net/publishers/index.html

      Préface
      Carlos Lévy : "La question de la dyade chez Philon d'Alexandrie"
      Francesca Calabi : "Filone di Alessandria e Ecfanto. Un confronto possibile"
      Daniel Babut : "L'unité de l'Académie selon Plutarque. Notes en marge d'un
      débat ancien et toujours actuel"
      Pierluigi Donini : "Tra Academia e pitagorismo. Il platonismo nel De genio
      Socratis di Plutarco"
      Chr. Helmig : "The relationship between Forms and numbers in Nicomachus'
      Introduction to Arithmetic"
      Dominic O'Meara : "Hearing the harmony of the spheres in Late Antiquity"
      Elena Gritti : "Insegnamento pitagorico e metodo dialettico in Proclo"
      Alessandro Linguitti : "Prospettiva pitagorica e prospettiva platonica nella
      filosofia della natura di Proclo"
      Carlos Steel : "Proclus on divines figures. An essay on Pythagorean-platonic
      theology"
      Index locorum

      2)
      Mauro Bonazzi - Christoph Helmig (eds.)

      Platonic Stoicism - Stoic Platonism. The Dialogue between Platonism and
      Stoicism in Antiquity
      (Diatribai, III)
      (Ancient and Medieval Philosophy, De Wulf-Mansion Centre, Series 1, XXXIX)
      Leuven University Press/ Presses Universitaires de Louvain/ Universitaire
      Pers Leuven
      Leuven 2007
      ISBN 978 90 5867 625 2
      326 pages
      69 euros
      http://www.kuleuven.be/upers/

      Table of Contents

      Introduction (MAURO BONAZZI / CHRISTOPH HELMIG: The dialogue between
      Stoicism and Platonism in Antiquity)
      1) THOMAS BÉNATOUÏL, Le débat entre platonisme et stoïcisme sur la vie
      scolastique: Chrysippe, la Nouvelle Académie et Antiochus
      2) FRANCESCA ALESSE, Alcuni esempi della relazione tra l'etica stoica e
      Platone
      3) SOPHIE AUBERT, La lecture stoïcienne du laconisme à travers le filtre de
      Platon
      4) VALERIE LAURAND, L'Érôs pédagogique chez Platon et les Stoïciens
      5) JOHN STEVENS, Platonism and Stoicism in Vergil's Aeneid
      6) MAURO BONAZZI, Eudorus' psychology and Stoic ethics
      7) TEUN TIELEMAN, Onomastic Reference in Seneca. The Case of Plato and the
      Platonists
      8) BRAD INWOOD, Seneca, Plato and Platonism: the case of Letter 65
      9) ROBERT SHARPLES, The Stoic Background to the Middle Platonist discussion
      of Fate
      10) CHRISTOPHER GILL, Marcus Aurelius' Meditations: How Stoic and How
      Platonic?
      11) RICCARDO CHIARADONNA, Platonismo e Teoria della Conoscenza Stoica tra II
      e III secolo d.C.
      12) GRETCHEN REYDAMS-SCHILS, Calcidius on God

      Bibliography
      Indices
    • Sara Ahbel-Rappe
      Message 2 of 8 , May 21, 2008
        hi all,
        Does anyone know if the fragment from Aristotle's 'On Prayer' is included
        in the fragments available through the TLG, and if so, how does one find
        it?
        thanks,
        sara
      • Cosmin I. Andron
        Message 3 of 8 , May 21, 2008
          Being in China for the last 4 years I'll have to rely on memory and a
          suggestion....

          If i remember correctly A's oP is in Ross's volume of Fragmenta
          Selecta. My first try would be to check in that volume the ref to an
          earlier edition/collection of Frs then identify it in TLG (Rose or
          Jacoby - if i remember correctly??).

          The second way would be to choose half a sentence (with keywords) from
          the text and do a string search for it within Aristotle or the whole
          TLG (depending what program you're using).

          At least this is what i would do... One way or another is bound to pop
          up and if it does not then it's not included (which i doubt).

          Sorry this is all i have for a suggestion.
          Cheers,

          PS - hello to all. It's been a looong time... :D

          --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, Sara Ahbel-Rappe <rappe@...> wrote:

          > hi all,
          > Does anyone know if the fragment from Aristotle's 'On Prayer' is
          included
          > in the fragments available through the TLG, and if so, how does one
          find
          > it?
          > thanks,
          > sara

        • pronoia12
          Message 4 of 8 , May 21, 2008
            Do you know what the fragment says, or which author quotes it?

            The TLG has the various fragments from:
            V. Rose, Aristotelis qui ferebantur librorum fragmenta. Leipzig:
            Teubner, 1886
            In these categories, plus a few stray ones that don't seem to be about
            prayer:

            Dialogi (testimonia + frr. 1-111): pp. 23-104

            Logica (testimonia + frr. 112-124): pp. 105-114

            Rhetorica et poetica (testimonia + frr. 125-179): pp. 114-137

            Ethica (frr. 180-184): pp. 137-147

            Philosophica (frr. 185-208): pp. 148-167

            Physica (testimonia + frr. 209-278): pp. 167-214

            Zoica (testimonia + frr. 279-380): pp. 215-257

            Historica (testimonia + frr. 381-644): pp. 258-407

            Orationes et epistulae (testimonia + frr. 645-670): pp. 407-421

            Carmina (frr. 671-675): pp. 421-423

            Dubia (frr. 676-680): pp. 424-425

            --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, Sara Ahbel-Rappe <rappe@...> wrote:

            > hi all,
            > Does anyone know if the fragment from Aristotle's 'On Prayer' is
            included
            > in the fragments available through the TLG, and if so, how does one
            find
            > it?
            > thanks,
            > sara

          • vlad marilena
            Message 5 of 8 , May 21, 2008
              Hello,
              the fragment you are looking for (from Aristotle's Peri euches) is included in the TLG: Aristotle, Fragmenta varia, category 1, treatise title 5, fragment 49
              Best wishes,
              Marilena Vlad

            • Sara Ahbel-Rappe
              Message 6 of 8 , May 21, 2008
                thanks to all who have answered this question.
                sara

                On Wed, 21 May 2008, vlad marilena wrote:

                > Hello,
                > the fragment you are looking for (from Aristotle's Peri euches) is included in the TLG: Aristotle, Fragmenta varia, category 1, treatise title 5, fragment 49
                > Best wishes,
                > Marilena Vlad

              • Sara Ahbel-Rappe
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 11, 2008
                  This is not a neoplatonist question. But does anyone know how early the
                  decree of Diopeithes is mentioned (supposed to have been passed by the
                  Athenians in the 430s to outlaw astronomy). i think it is in Libanius?
                  Some pamphlet that he reports, but is there any other evidence for it?
                  is it in Plutarch?
                  thanks, as always,
                  sara
                • Goya
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 11, 2008
                    > This is not a neoplatonist question. But does anyone know how early the
                    > decree of Diopeithes is mentioned (supposed to have been passed by the
                    > Athenians in the 430s to outlaw astronomy). i think it is in Libanius?
                    > Some pamphlet that he reports, but is there any other evidence for it?
                    > is it in Plutarch?

                    Hi Sara,

                    The Plutarch passage is Pericles 32; see also Suda, *D 1188 & *E 2681.

                    There are full surveys of all the evidence in:

                    Connor W. R. - Two notes on Diopeithes the seer. CPh 1963 LVIII : 115-118.

                    Montuori M. - Sul processo di Anassagora. De homine N° 22-23 : 103-148.

                    Carbonara Naddei M. - Brevita o insignificanza della vita nel *PERI\ QEW=N
                    di Protagora? AAN 1975 LXXXVI : 465-503.

                    Mansfeld J. - The chronology of Anaxagoras' Athenian period and the date
                    of his trial., II : The plot against Pericles and his associates.
                    Mnemosyne 1980 XXXIII : 17-95.

                    Banfi, Antonio. - I processi contro Anassagora, Pericle, Fidia ed Aspasia
                    e la questione del « circolo di Pericle » : note di cronologia e di
                    storia. AIIS 1999 16 : 3-85. •

                    Best, Mike