Philon of Alexandria

  • chrhein71
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2007
      To all of the Group.

      Is there any greek Text of Philo of Alexandria in the www available. It
      would make a discussion in an Old Testament course more effective.
      The theme will be "Unwritten Tora - Unwritten Doctrine of Plato. On "de
      abrahamo" of Philo of Alexandria.

      I am writing this post because of the evidence of the thesis that Philo
      was the founder of a pre-newplatonic school, and the historic line
      follows through Clemens Alexandrinus and Ammonios Sakkas to Plotin and
      Origen.

      I want to show that Philo´s method of exegesis of the Holy Scripture is
      not understandable if we omitt the Platonic Unwritten Doctrine.

      I need just a greek online text.

      Thank You
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2007
        --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "chrhein71" <chrhein71@...>
        wrote:

        > To all of the Group.
        >
        > Is there any greek Text of Philo of Alexandria in the www
        available. It
        > would make a discussion in an Old Testament course more effective.
        > The theme will be "Unwritten Tora - Unwritten Doctrine of Plato.
        On "de
        > abrahamo" of Philo of Alexandria.
        >
        > I am writing this post because of the evidence of the thesis that
        Philo
        > was the founder of a pre-newplatonic school, and the historic line
        > follows through Clemens Alexandrinus and Ammonios Sakkas to Plotin
        and
        > Origen.
        >
        > I want to show that Philo´s method of exegesis of the Holy
        Scripture is
        > not understandable if we omitt the Platonic Unwritten Doctrine.
        >
        > I need just a greek online text.
        >
        > Thank You

        Try Google books - there is in fact a full edition of the Greek text
        that has been scanned in. I have to admit I am not up personally on
        which editions of Philo have been published and how good they are,
        but here at Google at least is an older German one, by Leopold Cohn
        and Paul Wendland:

        http://books.google.com/books?
        id=kLRzSHTo6vcC&pg=PR28&dq=abrahamo+philo&as_brr=1#PPA3,M1

        Dennis Clark
      • chrhein71
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2007
          --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "vaeringjar" <vaeringjar@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "chrhein71" <chrhein71@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > To all of the Group.
          > >
          > > Is there any greek Text of Philo of Alexandria in the www
          > available. It
          > > would make a discussion in an Old Testament course more effective.
          > > The theme will be "Unwritten Tora - Unwritten Doctrine of Plato.
          > On "de
          > > abrahamo" of Philo of Alexandria.
          > >
          > > I am writing this post because of the evidence of the thesis that
          > Philo
          > > was the founder of a pre-newplatonic school, and the historic
          line
          > > follows through Clemens Alexandrinus and Ammonios Sakkas to
          Plotin
          > and
          > > Origen.
          > >
          > > I want to show that Philo´s method of exegesis of the Holy
          > Scripture is
          > > not understandable if we omitt the Platonic Unwritten Doctrine.
          > >
          > > I need just a greek online text.
          > >
          > > Thank You
          > >

          > Try Google books - there is in fact a full edition of the Greek
          text
          > that has been scanned in. I have to admit I am not up personally on
          > which editions of Philo have been published and how good they are,
          > but here at Google at least is an older German one, by Leopold Cohn
          > and Paul Wendland:
          >
          > http://books.google.com/books?
          > id=kLRzSHTo6vcC&pg=PR28&dq=abrahamo+philo&as_brr=1#PPA3,M1
          >
          > Dennis Clark

          Many thanks,

          it was exactly what i was searching for.
          Very usefull.
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2007
            wrote:

            > --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "vaeringjar" <vaeringjar@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "chrhein71" <chrhein71@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > To all of the Group.
            > > >
            > > > Is there any greek Text of Philo of Alexandria in the www
            > > available. It
            > > > would make a discussion in an Old Testament course more
            effective.
            > > > The theme will be "Unwritten Tora - Unwritten Doctrine of
            Plato.
            > > On "de
            > > > abrahamo" of Philo of Alexandria.
            > > >
            > > > I am writing this post because of the evidence of the thesis
            that
            > > Philo
            > > > was the founder of a pre-newplatonic school, and the historic
            > line
            > > > follows through Clemens Alexandrinus and Ammonios Sakkas to
            > Plotin
            > > and
            > > > Origen.
            > > >
            > > > I want to show that Philo´s method of exegesis of the Holy
            > > Scripture is
            > > > not understandable if we omitt the Platonic Unwritten Doctrine.
            > > >
            > > > I need just a greek online text.
            > > >
            > > > Thank You
            > > >

            > > Try Google books - there is in fact a full edition of the Greek
            > text
            > > that has been scanned in. I have to admit I am not up personally
            on
            > > which editions of Philo have been published and how good they
            are,
            > > but here at Google at least is an older German one, by Leopold
            Cohn
            > > and Paul Wendland:
            > >
            > > http://books.google.com/books?
            > > id=kLRzSHTo6vcC&pg=PR28&dq=abrahamo+philo&as_brr=1#PPA3,M1
            > >
            > > Dennis Clark
            > >

            > Many thanks,
            >
            > it was exactly what i was searching for.
            > Very usefull.

            I have been mostly impressed with what is available on Google Books.
            It's especially useful for the older but still standard large
            collections, such as Diels' Doxography. That sort of thing is
            something very handy to have for reference that unless you are near a
            decent library is going to be very difficult to come by. I was hoping
            they would have more of the CAG out there than they do, but so far
            not really many of the volumes are online yet, though they do have
            Simplicius' commentary on the Categories. Again, such works are not
            readily available outside a decent library, are almost impossible to
            acquire second-hand and if available would likely be horrifically
            expensive. If you just want to look up something even if you are at a
            university, it's great just to be able to look quickly online for a
            certain passage than to have to go physically fetch the book. They
            have part of the Wachsmuth Stobaeus also, but I haven't been able to
            find all the volumes.

            Unfortunately their search feature is abysmally bad and inconsistent.
            You cannot always find all an author's works online by entering the
            name in the Author field, and Titles unfortunately has the same
            problem. It appears that works of the same series, such as CAG, will
            also not always be entered into the system with the same consistent
            wording of the title, and anything with a non-English title,
            particularly in Latin or Greek seems especially prone to these
            problems. Same thing goes for something like the Patrologia. So as I
            have said before, it's often best to search both in Title or Author
            and then if that fails in the general search with title text or
            author name, with the Full View option set.

            But it's still a great resource, and with time perhaps these problems
            will be rectified.