Books

  • Kornel Losonczy
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2007
      Hello guys,

      First off: Thanks a lot for the info.

      Well ok I'm not a real begginner, I'm learning philosophy here in Hungary and I'm just about to finish, and the only thing that really got me was the ancient traditions, the greek tradition if talking philosophy. So I'm gonna write my major paper (I don't know if this is the proper term) Comparing Plato's idea of the Primer good,the form of good and Plotinus's One. And also their, and the greeks theology in general.
      I'm willing to collect articles concerning these specific themes for such texts and books are hard to find here even at the university library.
      Online resources are rare and the ones that I've found you have to pay to download. That is of course in connection with neoplatonism. Plato is easy ta access.
      I have the enneads and O'meara's book.
      Too bad i don't know german well enough to read philosophy, there are more books in german.

      don't post amazon links, it only makes my heart bleed to see so many good books that i cannot read. :( They're too expensive.

      have a good day: Kornel

      IHSV

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007
        --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, Kornel Losonczy <klosonczy@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello guys,
        >
        > First off: Thanks a lot for the info.
        >
        > Well ok I'm not a real begginner, I'm learning philosophy here in
        Hungary and I'm just about to finish, and the only thing that really
        got me was the ancient traditions, the greek tradition if talking
        philosophy. So I'm gonna write my major paper (I don't know if this
        is the proper term) Comparing Plato's idea of the Primer good,the
        form of good and Plotinus's One. And also their, and the greeks
        theology in general.
        > I'm willing to collect articles concerning these specific themes
        for such texts and books are hard to find here even at the university
        library.
        > Online resources are rare and the ones that I've found you have
        to pay to download. That is of course in connection with
        neoplatonism. Plato is easy ta access.
        > I have the enneads and O'meara's book.
        > Too bad i don't know german well enough to read philosophy, there
        are more books in german.

        > don't post amazon links, it only makes my heart bleed to see so
        many good books that i cannot read. :( They're too expensive.

        > have a good day: Kornel

        Speaking as one who has spent way too much money he shouldn't have on
        expensive books on this subject, I do understand those dangers.

        But I would definitely encourage you to look at Google books, though
        recently one of our colleagues here at the group was having trouble
        accessing the main site in Europe, so I hope you don't have the same
        issues there. Oddly enough, some recent books show up there in their
        entirety. I don't know how this happens, but one example is Ilsetraut
        Hadot's recent book on Hierocles, which is in full view at Google.
        Here is the URL for that:

        http://books.google.com/books?
        id=dCELAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=hadot+hierocles&sig=TNhmApciHRX
        81chOrlRQEbRVKpo

        The search feature at Google Books can also be a bit frustrating;
        often I have entered an author on the advanced search and not found a
        certain text, and then when I just put in the author and some other
        keywords in the general search, then suddenly the text appears in
        Full View. It also helps, if you are looking for the full text, to
        limit the search to that "Full View". Then you won't get all those
        hits that are just references to the book found in other, usually
        Limited View texts. Online books is an area of rapid development
        actually; there was an article the other day in the news about the
        competition between Google and Microsoft and how libraries and other
        institutions are reacting to all this. But one thing is clear -
        libraries more and more want to digitize, and so I think while there
        is a long way to go on that, we are definitely headed in that
        direction. Certainly even now it pays to know how to dig and root
        around online to find the free resources especially.

        But it may be worth your while to look at second-hand books online at
        ABE at http://www.abebooks.com Some are not so expensive, while of
        course some are still not at all cheap there. This is not, as you
        probably already know, an easy subject to pursue without access to a
        decent library, usually a university one, or at least interlibrary
        loan, which we have here in the USA but I can't speak to the
        situation in Europe. I do think we all need reading knowledge not
        only of German but most definitely French and Italian and probably
        Spanish too. Recently I have encountered many works of interest in
        Italian - which I can muddle through with some difficulty, having
        never studied it formally - and often unfortunately those secondary
        works in Italian are not that easily available in libraries here in
        America nor are they quite as easy to get online as the French,
        German or English.

        Does anyone know of a good online site for Italian books? I have had
        varying results with individual booksellers there - some great,
        others not so great. There is no Italian Amazon, unfortunately. I
        have found several individual sites but I would like to know more
        about them before using them. Librarius.net is great for Classics and
        Ancient Philosophy, including often second-hand German works, but
        they seem not to stock Italian books.

        On this side the Atlantic, apparently something has gone awry with
        Schoenhof's website, which has been down with no error message for
        some time now. It was a great resource, especially as a vendor of
        Teubner texts, I think perhaps the main one in the USA. Another way
        to spend lots of money - I wish Smith's edition of Porphyry's
        fragments were more readily available, just to mention one example of
        an important text that is not cheap.