First message ...

  • Giannis Stamatellos
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3 9:10 AM
      Dear friends of Neoplatonism,

      My name is Giannis Stamatellos and I have just joined
      this discussion group. I am working on Plotinus for
      the last 5 years and now I am working on my thesis
      concerning the Presocratic tradition in the Enneads. I
      am staying in Greece and I am working as an IB
      teacher.

      Best Wishes
      Giannis Stamatellos

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • Edward Moore
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3 10:50 AM
        Welcome, Giannis!

        I have done quite a bit of work on Plotinus, but never really
        investigated his use of pre-Socratic thought. I'd be very interested in
        hearing more about your findings.

        Regards,

        Edward

        On Wed, 3 Jul 2002 09:10:15 -0700 (PDT) Giannis Stamatellos
        <gstamap@...> writes:
        > Dear friends of Neoplatonism,
        >
        > My name is Giannis Stamatellos and I have just joined
        > this discussion group. I am working on Plotinus for
        > the last 5 years and now I am working on my thesis
        > concerning the Presocratic tradition in the Enneads. I
        > am staying in Greece and I am working as an IB
        > teacher.
        >
        > Best Wishes
        > Giannis Stamatellos

        Edward Moore
        (Doctoral Candidate)
        St. Elias School of Orthodox Theology
        Email. proteus28@... Fax. 1-810-454-1893
        www.orthodoxtheology.org IEP: www.utm.edu/research/iep

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
      • plotinosgr
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3 5:49 PM
          Hello everybody Plotinus and Neoplatonism my favorite!Glad i found
          this Group.

          Check this out for Plotinus

          http://www.wisdomworld.org/setting/plotinus.html

          Concerning Presocratic philosophy i have the following Group my self

          Sincerely,
          Vassilis
        • Peter Adamson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4 6:35 AM
            Hello all and thanks to Cosmin for setting this up.

            My name is Peter Adamson, I am a lecturer in the Philosophy Dept. at King's
            College London; my areas of interest are both Greek and Arabic
            Neoplatonism, especially (these days) al-Kindi's circle in 9th c. Baghdad.

            I have a book forthcoming from Duckworth Press about the translation of
            Plotinus into Arabic, it should appear late this year (I hope). Also I
            guess I can advertise my forthcoming paper in J. of the History of
            Philosophy, in the next issue, called "Before Essence and Existence:
            al-Kindi's Conception of Being."

            Thanks,
            Peter Adamson

            ___________________________
            Peter Adamson
            Department of Philosophy
            King's College London
            London WC2R 2LS
          • Giannis Stamatellos
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 4 10:59 AM
              Dear Peter,

              Your area of research is extremely interesting.
              Especially concerning the Arabic side of Neoplatonism.
              The case of Plotinus' 4th Ennead under the name of
              Aristotle's Theology seems to be like a historical
              paradox. I think that this fact lead us to new
              multicultural perspectives of philosophy. Maybe the
              things we believe that differentiate as from other
              cultures are not explicit and absolute. Some common
              things are more than obvious. Finally, I would like to
              ask you if you know any books to recommend concerning
              the Arabic Neoplatonism.

              Best Wishes
              Giannis Stamatellos
              (Doctoral Candidate)

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • Giannis Stamatellos
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 4 11:14 AM
                Dear Edward,

                Your question is not surprising. Besides the observed
                references of Plotinus to the Presocratics and
                especially Heraclitus, Parmenides, Empedocles and
                Anaxagoras scant attention has been made on the
                influence of the Presocratic thought in Plotinus'
                Enneads. In fact, there is only one article in German
                by Gezler and some notes and initial research of
                Roussos published in Modern Greek. It is noteworthy
                that Plotinus refers extensively to some basic
                Presocratic concepts in Ennead V.1 where he exposes
                the main lines of his system of the Three Hypostases.
                Some more allusions are observed in IV.8, III.7 and
                II.4. At the moment I am working on Parmenides and
                Plotinus and especially how Plotinus interprets
                Parmenides' fr. 3 'the same thing is for thinking and
                for being'. Plotinus interprets Parmenides in
                identifying Thinking and Being, one of the main
                characteristics of the nature of his Second
                Hypostasis, the Intellect (cf. V.1.9). If you want
                some further information please do not hesitate to ask
                for.

                Best Wishes
                Giannis Stamatellos
                (Doctoral Candidate)