The Space: manifestation of the One in the physical world?

  • Beniamino Di Dario
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
      Prof. Dillon, in his article in ANRW (p. 892), mentioned the possibility that for Iamblichus the Space is a manifestation of the One at the level of the physical world: «…it has the form of unity and holds all things together in itself, as well as perfectly limiting the universe according to one measure».

      This is a very fascinating example for our 'temporal' minds: it’s correct to affirm that in our physical world the unity (oneness) of the Space is a symbol of the One?

      .:.BMD.:.

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
        --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, Beniamino Di Dario
        <lupoinvincibile@...> wrote:

        > Prof. Dillon, in his article in ANRW (p. 892), mentioned the
        possibility that for Iamblichus the Space is a manifestation of the
        One at the level of the physical world: «…it has the form of unity
        and holds all things together in itself, as well as perfectly
        limiting the universe according to one measure».

        > This is a very fascinating example for our 'temporal' minds: it's
        correct to affirm that in our physical world the unity (oneness) of
        the Space is a symbol of the One?

        > .:.BMD.:.

        Well, I've taken it as the mirror opposite of the One, rather like an
        obverse, but now that I think about it, what attributes does the
        receptacle have, if any? If it lackes all attributes it would, oddly
        enough, have that in common with the One, wouldn't it, except that it
        contributes nothing. Of course also the One is unaspected itself, yet
        somehow at the same time it is the fount of all aspects in the lower
        levels of reality flowing from it.

        I have just been reading Prof Smith's book on Porphyry and quite a
        bit about the distinction between dynamis and energeia, though I
        sense I need a better grounding here in Aristotle. His book his
        really rather dense and demands a close reading and understanding of
        course of much important detail in Plotinus.

        So that would be one obvious big difference between the One and the
        receptacle, that the One has infinite energeia - ? And space/the
        receptacle absolutely no energeia?