Brill's annual book sale

  • Avyorth
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2006
      Brill publishers have a 'Backlistoffer' with 500 titles with up to 70% discount". There are several that might be of interest to members of this list. Those familiar with Brill will know that even with such a generous discount the price will not be cheap but they do publish some interesting stuff. A few examples:

      Plotinus on the Good or the One (Enneads VI,9)
      An Analytical Commentary
      P.A. Meijer

      Proclus' Hymns
      Essays, Translations, Commentary
      R.M. van den Berg

      Cornelius Agrippa, The Humanist Theologian and His Declamations
      Marc van der Poel

      Details at:

      http://www.brill.nl/default.aspx?partid=75

      Regards,

      Avyorth

      PS I have no connection with Brill's.

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2006
        --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "Avyorth" <avyorth@...> wrote:

        > Brill publishers have a 'Backlistoffer' with 500 titles with up to
        70% discount". There are several that might be of interest to members
        of this list. Those familiar with Brill will know that even with such
        a generous discount the price will not be cheap but they do publish
        some interesting stuff. A few examples:

        > Plotinus on the Good or the One (Enneads VI,9)
        > An Analytical Commentary
        > P.A. Meijer
        >
        > Proclus' Hymns
        > Essays, Translations, Commentary
        > R.M. van den Berg
        >
        > Cornelius Agrippa, The Humanist Theologian and His Declamations
        > Marc van der Poel
        >
        > Details at:
        >
        > http://www.brill.nl/default.aspx?partid=75
        >

        > Regards,
        >
        > Avyorth
        >

        > PS I have no connection with Brill's.

        Thanks for pointing this out, though my pocketbook is already
        screaming no at me, but at least it's Christmas soon.

        I noticed in the blurb on the commentary to Plotinus VI.9 the use of
        the term "Mesoplatonism". I hadn't seen this before - are we to
        replace "Middle Platonism" now? Formed I assume on the example
        of "Neoplatonism"? Soon will we speak of "Archaioplatonism"?

        One other item I noticed is the following:

        Anonymi Monophysitae Theosophia
        An Attempt at Reconstruction
        Pier Franco Beatrice

        "The Theosophy, written by an anonymous Monophysite theologian in the
        early years of the sixth century CE, is a work in four books with a
        final world chronicle. Heir to a long apologetic tradition, it aims
        at demonstrating that there is a basic harmony between Christian
        faith and pagan theology. For this reason its author quotes at length
        numerous pagan prophecies of the Christian doctrines of the Trinity
        and the Incarnation.
        This volume proposes the first comprehensive critical edition of all
        the extant fragments of this work, in an attempt to reconstruct the
        general framework and to understand the inner logic of its
        composition. Thanks to this edition, which is bound to become the
        starting point for any future investigation, the Theosophy has now
        been put in circulation and made available for further research."

        I was just reading a very new article online which referred to this
        work, saying that among other things Beatrice has identified the
        compiler of the Tuebingen Theosophy as the 6th century bishop of
        Antioch, Severus of Sozopolis. I wonder if he adds anything to the
        discussion of those oracles including in the Theosophy that Lewy
        wanted to classify as Chaldaean fragments that others don't really
        accept?