Re: Fw: BMCR 2006.08.13, Philosophy, Science and Exegesis

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 12, 2006
      --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, John Dilon <jmdillon@...> wrote:

      > > --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Moore" <emoore@>
      > > wrote:

      Commentator
      > > on
      > > that
      > > on
      > >
      > > Am I mistaken, or is this first work to focus on this subject?
      > > Whenever I am leafing through Smith trying to find this or that
      > > fragment of Porphyry, I wonder about all those fragments dealing
      with
      > > Aristotle, which I don't recall having received that much
      attention
      > > (except of course for his various works on the Categories).

      > > an
      > > said
      > > out by
      > > work or
      > > Aristotle
      > > as to
      > > became the
      > > Agreement?
      > > (2006).
      > >
      > > Again, is this not the first attempt to deal with this important
      > > subject in a monograph or other full study? My ignorance, perhaps,
      > > but I am also a little surprised there is enough original source
      > > material just between those two, Antiochus and Porphyry, to
      provide
      > > fodder for an entire book, or perhaps there is also a goodly
      amount
      > > of references in later Neoplatonists as proof for Porphyry's
      > > position - ? You often read how important, rather I should say
      > > central, this issue was for Neoplatonists, but I don't know I have
      > > ever seen this as the subject of any full study by itself, which
      > > again may just be due to my ignorance.
      > >
      > > Lots of interesting work in this volume.
      > >
      > > Dennis Clark
      > > Issaquah
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > Yes, Dennis, I think this is all pretty original, I was the external
      > examiner for George's Ph. D., and I liked it a lot (he did it with
      Michael
      > Frede, which more or less guarantees quality!), and urged him to
      submit it
      > to OUP, which he did. And so there it is. John

      Just a quick note - I had this most interesting looking book in my
      hands the night before last at the U of Washington library, but
      unfortunately didn't have time to read much of it or grab copies of
      at least the chapter on Porphyry. It certainly looks to be an
      important contribution on the subject. Don't know if anyone else has
      had a chance to read it - here is the link to the blurb at the OUP
      website:

      http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Philosophy/History/Ancie
      nt/~~/dmlldz11c2EmY2k9OTc4MDE5OTI2NDU2OA==

      By the way, if you Google Prof Karamanolis (I was mostly curious to
      see if there is a BMCR yet, but it's really early after the publish
      date and it was just received in July), you will get a hit on a very
      interesting paper by Prof Strange on Porphyry, which is listed as
      forthcoming in a book <Studies in Porphyry> edited by Karamanolis and
      Prof Sheppard. Anyone know if the release of this book is eminent? I
      rather would like to quote some things from Prof Strange's article,
      but I guess that won't work, having only found it online pre-
      publication, apparently - and I hope that is not an intrusion, but if
      it Googles I guess it's meant for public consumption(?). I don't like
      to poke into things, especially anything private, but I do root
      around online and am rather amazed at what is actually available at
      times in our field of interest. Apologies if I have stuck my nose in
      where it don't belong.

      Dennis Clark
      Issaquah
    • Peter Adamson
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 12, 2006
        Dear Dennis,

        > By the way, if you Google Prof Karamanolis (I was mostly curious to
        > see if there is a BMCR yet, but it's really early after the publish
        > date and it was just received in July), you will get a hit on a very
        > interesting paper by Prof Strange on Porphyry, which is listed as
        > forthcoming in a book <Studies in Porphyry> edited by Karamanolis and
        > Prof Sheppard. Anyone know if the release of this book is imminent?

        Fairly imminent, yes -- I have a piece in it. I would imagine it'll be
        out in 2007 at any rate. It will be published by the Institute of
        Classical Studies.

        Best,
        Peter Adamson
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 13, 2006
          --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, Peter Adamson
          <peter.adamson@...> wrote:

          > Dear Dennis,
          >
          > > By the way, if you Google Prof Karamanolis (I was mostly curious
          > > see if there is a BMCR yet, but it's really early after the
          publish
          > > date and it was just received in July), you will get a hit on a
          very
          > > interesting paper by Prof Strange on Porphyry, which is listed as
          > > forthcoming in a book <Studies in Porphyry> edited by Karamanolis
          and
          > > Prof Sheppard. Anyone know if the release of this book is
          imminent?

          > Fairly imminent, yes -- I have a piece in it. I would imagine it'll
          be
          > out in 2007 at any rate. It will be published by the Institute of
          > Classical Studies.
          >
          > Best,
          > Peter Adamson

          Thanks, I will look for it, though I would like to quote from
          Strange's article beforehand. Perhaps I could just try contacting him
          directly and asking for permission. Is that the normal procedure for
          this sort of thing? I guess it won't hurt trying.

          If I may ask, what is the title of your piece?