Re: Test Post

  • gabrielabal2004
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 16, 2006
      --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "vaeringjar" <vaeringjar@...>
      wrote:

      > Just a test to see if the group is for real again. Sheesh.
      >
      > Dennis Clark
      > Issaquah

    • j_t_palomares
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 16, 2006
        Hi Les,

        What points did you have in mind?

        JT

        --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, leslie greenhill
        <neoplatonist2000@...> wrote:

        > To get the ball rolling, has anyone
        > looked at "The Histories" by Herodotus from a
        > Pythagorean point of view?
        >
        > Les Greenhill

      • leslie greenhill
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 17, 2006
          Hi JT

          I'm not sure if I provided the following in a previous
          posting. Anyway, below are details of a new work I
          have just completed. (Melanie Mineo will get this in
          a reply to a Neoplatonic Studies posting.)

          GRAND DESIGN IN THE WORKS OF LEONARDO, VITRUVIUS,
          PLATO AND HERODOTUS

          ABSTRACT: Leonardo da Vinci’s image of Vitruvian Man,
          man the microcosm, is the most famous illustration of
          its kind. Da Vinci’s layout of man’s body in a square
          and a circle is derived from a formulation found in
          the influential treatise “The Ten Books on
          Architecture” written some two thousand years ago by
          the Roman architect and engineer Vitruvius. It is
          demonstrated that certain critical design elements in
          the body’s layout can be linked to other historically
          significant designs found in Vitruvius’s treatise, in
          the famous layout of Atlantis as described in
          “Critias” by the Greek philosopher Plato, and in a
          number of inventive formulations in a renowned
          classical work “The Histories” by Herodotus. The
          material in this exposition radically changes notions
          of design, the nature of Greek and Roman measures, and
          the influence of Pythagoreanism in antiquity. (7000
          words)

          An extensive study of the works of these people (and
          others) reveals a distinct design theme that has
          important historical consequences. As I said to
          Melanie, I will extract a few examples from the
          exposition over the next few days and post them to
          maybe start some discussions. It turns out that
          Herodotus is a goldmine of inventive Pythagorean
          arithmetic formulations that can clearly and
          decisively be linked to the works of the people
          mentioned in the exposition's title. I will send you
          an attachment in a separate email the exposition "How
          Plato designed Atlantis" to help set the scene.

          Regards
          Les

          --- j_t_palomares <j_t_palomares@...> wrote:

          > Hi Les,
          >
          > What points did you have in mind?
          >
          > JT
          >

          > --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, leslie
          > greenhill
          > <neoplatonist2000@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > To get the ball rolling, has anyone
          > > looked at "The Histories" by Herodotus from a
          > > Pythagorean point of view?
          > >
          > > Les Greenhill

          P.O. Box 314
          Mentone, Victoria 3194 Australia
          Email: neoplatonist2000@...

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • leslie greenhill
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 19, 2006
            Hi JT and Melanie

            A few days ago I said I would provide extracts from my
            new exposition “Grand Design in the works of Leonardo,
            Vitruvius, Plato and Herodotus”. The extracts enhance
            the material in another of my works “How Plato
            designed Atlantis”.

            The first thing to say about the following material is
            that it represents only one strand of a larger theme
            from a unique ancient design technique. Nevertheless,
            the examples given below have historic significance.
            They should enable readers to reach some conclusions
            about the claims I made in the exposition’s synopsis.

            The strand in the examples relates to the number 36
            and variants of that number, such as 360, a number
            associated in antiquity with the number of days in a
            sacred year. There are many published discussions on
            this matter. Thirty-six is a square number: 6 x 6.

            The second matter relates to Greek and Roman measures.
            A Roman foot and a Greek foot each contained 16 digit
            divisions. Sixteen is another square number: 4 x 4.
            A Greek stade contained 600 Greek feet.

            Here, then, is data for thought and discussion.

            1. PLATO

            In a commentary on Plato’s Republic, the Greek
            philosopher’s most famous book, James Adam, author of
            The Republic of Plato writes:

            “We know from the Laws that Plato counted 360 ‘days’
            in the year. (Adam, Vol. II, p. 301)”

            Adam’s footnote to this passage states:

            “The number of Senators in the Laws is 360: these are
            to be divided into 12 sections of 30 each, and each
            section is to administer the State for one month. The
            number 60 with its multiples and divisors is the
            dominant number throughout the Laws. 360 ‘days’ is of
            course only an ideal division of the year: see § 6.
            Plato elsewhere recognises (with Philolaus) 364 1/2
            days (Rep. IX 587 E …)”. (Adam, Vol. II, p. 301)

            2. VITRUVIAN MAN

            Leonardo da Vinci’s famous illustration of Vitruvian
            Man, the man in the square and the circle, generally
            follows the formulation given by the Roman architect
            Vitruvius in his famous treatise “The Ten Books on
            Architecture” (Book 3.1.1 – 7). I recommend the
            version translated by Morris Hicky Morgan and
            published by Dover: see website below. Leonardo’s
            illustration is also provided on the second website
            below.

            Websites:

            http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus:text:1999.02.0073&query=

            http://encarta.msn.com/media_461530019/Vitruvian_Man.html

            Note the lines marked on the body by Leonardo. The
            lines on the upper body are locations mentioned by
            Vitruvius.

            Vitruvius says the “well shaped man” is six feet tall
            and that the measure of his outstretched arms is the
            same. Accordingly, the square is 6 by 6 feet, an area
            of 36 square feet.

            3. THE OUTSTRETCHED ARMS OF VITRUVIAN MAN

            In Book 3.1.2 Vitruvius says the breadth of the breast
            is one fourth of the body height. Accordingly, the
            breadth of the breast is 1.5 feet (one cubit). See
            the lines on the shoulders in the illustration.
            Therefore, the distance from the side of the breast to
            the tip of an outstretched arm is 2.25 feet:

            2.25 + 1.5 + 2.25 = 6 feet.

            The number 2.25 is 1.5 squared, that is, 1.5 x 1.5.
            And 2.25 is equal to 36 digits.

            4. PLATO’S ATLANTIS

            There are two main features of Atlantis as described
            by Plato in “Critias”: the central water/land ring
            arrangement (see my “How Plato designed Atlantis”) and
            the great rectangular plain 3000 stades by 2000
            stades. The plain contains 60,000 allotments, each
            allotment being 10 stades by ten stades (includes
            water frontages): see Stephanus 118 – 9. Note how
            Plato brings the number six into the discussion. As
            previously stated, a Greek stade contained 600 Greek
            feet. Therefore each allotment is 6000 by 6000 feet
            or 36,000,000 square Greek feet.

            5. CENTRAL ATLANTIS

            The water and land ring arrangement is circular and is
            27 stades in diameter. The radius of the arrangement
            is 13.5 stades; 13.5 stades is equal to 8100 Greek
            feet or 129,600 Greek digits. The number 129,600 is
            360 squared, that is, 360 x 360.

            6. HERODOTUS AND A VOYAGE UP THE NILE

            In “The Histories” Herodotus reports that the Egyptian
            coastline measures 3600 stades and that this is equal
            to 60 schoeni (an Egyptian measure, he reports): see
            Book 2.6 – 7. The number 3600 is a square number:
            60 x 60.

            A few paragraphs later Herodotus discusses a voyage up
            the Nile. Heliopolis is, he says, 4860 stades from
            Thebes (Book 2.9). The distance 4860 stades can be
            expressed in terms of digits: 4860 x 600 (the number
            of feet in a stade) = 2,916,000 Greek feet. Multiply
            the latter number by 16, the number of digits in a
            foot, and the product is 46,656,000 digits.

            The number 46,656,000 can be expressed as 360 x 360 x
            360, that is, 360 cubed. Compare this with the
            Atlantis radius formulation of 360 x 360 digits.

            All this is brought into a clear, cohesive and larger
            context in “Grand Design in the works of Leonardo,
            Vitruvius, Plato and Herodotus”. I hope that any
            reader using this material for other purposes will
            properly attribute the source. (I have been
            disappointed, but not surprised, to find that some
            data from the Atlantis exposition is being used in a
            less than ethical manner.

            Regards
            Les Greenhill