RE: [neoplatonism] Test Post

  • Giannis Stamatellos
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 16, 2006
      Yes Dennis. Everything is fine with the new Groups Link.

      Best Regards,
      Giannis Stamatellos

      Suzanne Stern-Gillet <s.stern-gillet@...> wrote:
      Yes, I got it. I was beginning to miss all these exciting messages.

      Best,
      Suzanne Stern-Gillet

      Just a test to see if the group is for real again. Sheesh.

      Dennis Clark
      Issaquah

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • gabrielabal2004
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 16, 2006
        --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "vaeringjar" <vaeringjar@...>
        wrote:

        > Just a test to see if the group is for real again. Sheesh.
        >
        > Dennis Clark
        > Issaquah

      • j_t_palomares
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 16, 2006
          Hi Les,

          What points did you have in mind?

          JT

          --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, leslie greenhill
          <neoplatonist2000@...> wrote:

          > To get the ball rolling, has anyone
          > looked at "The Histories" by Herodotus from a
          > Pythagorean point of view?
          >
          > Les Greenhill

        • leslie greenhill
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 17, 2006
            Hi JT

            I'm not sure if I provided the following in a previous
            posting. Anyway, below are details of a new work I
            have just completed. (Melanie Mineo will get this in
            a reply to a Neoplatonic Studies posting.)

            GRAND DESIGN IN THE WORKS OF LEONARDO, VITRUVIUS,
            PLATO AND HERODOTUS

            ABSTRACT: Leonardo da Vinci’s image of Vitruvian Man,
            man the microcosm, is the most famous illustration of
            its kind. Da Vinci’s layout of man’s body in a square
            and a circle is derived from a formulation found in
            the influential treatise “The Ten Books on
            Architecture” written some two thousand years ago by
            the Roman architect and engineer Vitruvius. It is
            demonstrated that certain critical design elements in
            the body’s layout can be linked to other historically
            significant designs found in Vitruvius’s treatise, in
            the famous layout of Atlantis as described in
            “Critias” by the Greek philosopher Plato, and in a
            number of inventive formulations in a renowned
            classical work “The Histories” by Herodotus. The
            material in this exposition radically changes notions
            of design, the nature of Greek and Roman measures, and
            the influence of Pythagoreanism in antiquity. (7000
            words)

            An extensive study of the works of these people (and
            others) reveals a distinct design theme that has
            important historical consequences. As I said to
            Melanie, I will extract a few examples from the
            exposition over the next few days and post them to
            maybe start some discussions. It turns out that
            Herodotus is a goldmine of inventive Pythagorean
            arithmetic formulations that can clearly and
            decisively be linked to the works of the people
            mentioned in the exposition's title. I will send you
            an attachment in a separate email the exposition "How
            Plato designed Atlantis" to help set the scene.

            Regards
            Les

            --- j_t_palomares <j_t_palomares@...> wrote:

            > Hi Les,
            >
            > What points did you have in mind?
            >
            > JT
            >

            > --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, leslie
            > greenhill
            > <neoplatonist2000@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > To get the ball rolling, has anyone
            > > looked at "The Histories" by Herodotus from a
            > > Pythagorean point of view?
            > >
            > > Les Greenhill

            P.O. Box 314
            Mentone, Victoria 3194 Australia
            Email: neoplatonist2000@...

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • leslie greenhill
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 19, 2006
              Hi JT and Melanie

              A few days ago I said I would provide extracts from my
              new exposition “Grand Design in the works of Leonardo,
              Vitruvius, Plato and Herodotus”. The extracts enhance
              the material in another of my works “How Plato
              designed Atlantis”.

              The first thing to say about the following material is
              that it represents only one strand of a larger theme
              from a unique ancient design technique. Nevertheless,
              the examples given below have historic significance.
              They should enable readers to reach some conclusions
              about the claims I made in the exposition’s synopsis.

              The strand in the examples relates to the number 36
              and variants of that number, such as 360, a number
              associated in antiquity with the number of days in a
              sacred year. There are many published discussions on
              this matter. Thirty-six is a square number: 6 x 6.

              The second matter relates to Greek and Roman measures.
              A Roman foot and a Greek foot each contained 16 digit
              divisions. Sixteen is another square number: 4 x 4.
              A Greek stade contained 600 Greek feet.

              Here, then, is data for thought and discussion.

              1. PLATO

              In a commentary on Plato’s Republic, the Greek
              philosopher’s most famous book, James Adam, author of
              The Republic of Plato writes:

              “We know from the Laws that Plato counted 360 ‘days’
              in the year. (Adam, Vol. II, p. 301)”

              Adam’s footnote to this passage states:

              “The number of Senators in the Laws is 360: these are
              to be divided into 12 sections of 30 each, and each
              section is to administer the State for one month. The
              number 60 with its multiples and divisors is the
              dominant number throughout the Laws. 360 ‘days’ is of
              course only an ideal division of the year: see § 6.
              Plato elsewhere recognises (with Philolaus) 364 1/2
              days (Rep. IX 587 E …)”. (Adam, Vol. II, p. 301)

              2. VITRUVIAN MAN

              Leonardo da Vinci’s famous illustration of Vitruvian
              Man, the man in the square and the circle, generally
              follows the formulation given by the Roman architect
              Vitruvius in his famous treatise “The Ten Books on
              Architecture” (Book 3.1.1 – 7). I recommend the
              version translated by Morris Hicky Morgan and
              published by Dover: see website below. Leonardo’s
              illustration is also provided on the second website
              below.

              Websites:

              http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus:text:1999.02.0073&query=

              http://encarta.msn.com/media_461530019/Vitruvian_Man.html

              Note the lines marked on the body by Leonardo. The
              lines on the upper body are locations mentioned by
              Vitruvius.

              Vitruvius says the “well shaped man” is six feet tall
              and that the measure of his outstretched arms is the
              same. Accordingly, the square is 6 by 6 feet, an area
              of 36 square feet.

              3. THE OUTSTRETCHED ARMS OF VITRUVIAN MAN

              In Book 3.1.2 Vitruvius says the breadth of the breast
              is one fourth of the body height. Accordingly, the
              breadth of the breast is 1.5 feet (one cubit). See
              the lines on the shoulders in the illustration.
              Therefore, the distance from the side of the breast to
              the tip of an outstretched arm is 2.25 feet:

              2.25 + 1.5 + 2.25 = 6 feet.

              The number 2.25 is 1.5 squared, that is, 1.5 x 1.5.
              And 2.25 is equal to 36 digits.

              4. PLATO’S ATLANTIS

              There are two main features of Atlantis as described
              by Plato in “Critias”: the central water/land ring
              arrangement (see my “How Plato designed Atlantis”) and
              the great rectangular plain 3000 stades by 2000
              stades. The plain contains 60,000 allotments, each
              allotment being 10 stades by ten stades (includes
              water frontages): see Stephanus 118 – 9. Note how
              Plato brings the number six into the discussion. As
              previously stated, a Greek stade contained 600 Greek
              feet. Therefore each allotment is 6000 by 6000 feet
              or 36,000,000 square Greek feet.

              5. CENTRAL ATLANTIS

              The water and land ring arrangement is circular and is
              27 stades in diameter. The radius of the arrangement
              is 13.5 stades; 13.5 stades is equal to 8100 Greek
              feet or 129,600 Greek digits. The number 129,600 is
              360 squared, that is, 360 x 360.

              6. HERODOTUS AND A VOYAGE UP THE NILE

              In “The Histories” Herodotus reports that the Egyptian
              coastline measures 3600 stades and that this is equal
              to 60 schoeni (an Egyptian measure, he reports): see
              Book 2.6 – 7. The number 3600 is a square number:
              60 x 60.

              A few paragraphs later Herodotus discusses a voyage up
              the Nile. Heliopolis is, he says, 4860 stades from
              Thebes (Book 2.9). The distance 4860 stades can be
              expressed in terms of digits: 4860 x 600 (the number
              of feet in a stade) = 2,916,000 Greek feet. Multiply
              the latter number by 16, the number of digits in a
              foot, and the product is 46,656,000 digits.

              The number 46,656,000 can be expressed as 360 x 360 x
              360, that is, 360 cubed. Compare this with the
              Atlantis radius formulation of 360 x 360 digits.

              All this is brought into a clear, cohesive and larger
              context in “Grand Design in the works of Leonardo,
              Vitruvius, Plato and Herodotus”. I hope that any
              reader using this material for other purposes will
              properly attribute the source. (I have been
              disappointed, but not surprised, to find that some
              data from the Atlantis exposition is being used in a
              less than ethical manner.

              Regards
              Les Greenhill