Old Forum / New Forum

  • Cosmin I. Andron
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 15, 2006
      OK folks!

      Now this is what happened:

      The old group was linked to my yahoo profile which I had to cancel at
      some point for unrelated reasons. Anyway, since I was the 'owner' of
      the group, they shut it down as well - thing I didn't know. When I saw
      what happened I asked them to try and salvage it. Now I see the
      miracle happened. However, this is now a group without 'owner' since
      my original profile does not exist anymore. And the problem that
      follows is that nobody can truly tweak it from now on. Only Edward
      still has some limited admin privileges to it.

      Now, no matter how hard is to let 'my baby go' this is my advice (and
      just an advice!):

      - Edward could put a note in bold and a link to the main page of the
      old group saying that the discussion moved to the new group and that
      this is to remain as an archive.

      - Put a similar note on the new forum, referring people back to the
      old one for past discussions.

      - Lock the posting features in the old forum

      The advantage of the new forum is that it has a 'live' owner - this
      time Ed. If two people could be owners that would be great and would
      prevent the last mishap. Also have another moderator just in case...

      My two cents.
    • Peter Adamson
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 2006
        Hello all,

        Mostly of interest to those in southern England, but some others may
        be passing through at opportune moments.

        Best wishes,
        Peter Adamson

        *********************

        *apologies for cross-posting*

        Institute of Classical Studies Ancient Philosophy Seminar

        Greek Philosophy and Greek Culture

        held Mondays, from 4:30-6:30*
        Senate House, in Russell Square, London
        Room NG16

        *please note this is half an hour earlier than previous years

        Dates, Speakers and Topics

        October 16: James Wilberding (Newcastle)
        Neoplatonic Embryology

        October 30: James Warren (Cambridge)
        Anaxagoras, Perception, and Pain

        November 13: Liz Pender (Leeds)
        Chaos corrected: Hesiod in Plato's myth of creation

        November 27: Serafina Cuomo (Imperial College)
        Techne in Plato and the Hippocratics

        December 11: Hugh Bowden (King's College London)
        Pythagoras and Orpheus

        January 15: Peter Garnsey (Cambridge)
        Plato's "Communism" from Plato to Gemistus Plethon

        January 29: Philip van der Eijk (Newcastle)
        Galen's Aristotelianism

        February 26: Mike Trapp (King's College London)
        Arrows in the soul: worries about the reception of philosophical logoi

        March 12: Peter Adamson (King's College London)
        Plotinus on Astrology

        For further information please contact Dr Peter Adamson
        (peter.adamson@...)
      • michael allen
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 27, 2006
          Petrus complatonice, Thank you for this info. I occasionally pass
          through London and would love to come. So please keep listing me. I
          am a Ficinista. Cheers, Michael Allen (UCLA)