Test Post

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 15, 2006
      Just a test to see if the group is for real again. Sheesh.

      Dennis Clark
      Issaquah
    • leslie greenhill
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 15, 2006
        I wondered what happened to it as well. Your message
        has arrived. To get the ball rolling, has anyone
        looked at "The Histories" by Herodotus from a
        Pythagorean point of view?

        Les Greenhill

        --- vaeringjar <vaeringjar@...> wrote:

        > Just a test to see if the group is for real again.
        > Sheesh.
        >
        > Dennis Clark
        > Issaquah

        P.O. Box 314
        Mentone, Victoria 3194 Australia
        Email: neoplatonist2000@...

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Suzanne Stern-Gillet
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 16, 2006
          Yes, I got it. I was beginning to miss all these exciting messages.

          Best,
          Suzanne Stern-Gillet

          Just a test to see if the group is for real again. Sheesh.

          Dennis Clark
          Issaquah

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Giannis Stamatellos
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 16, 2006
            Yes Dennis. Everything is fine with the new Groups Link.

            Best Regards,
            Giannis Stamatellos

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 16, 2006
              --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "vaeringjar" <vaeringjar@...>
              wrote:

              > Just a test to see if the group is for real again. Sheesh.
              >
              > Dennis Clark
              > Issaquah

            • j_t_palomares
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 16, 2006
                Hi Les,

                What points did you have in mind?

                JT

                --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, leslie greenhill
                <neoplatonist2000@...> wrote:

                > To get the ball rolling, has anyone
                > looked at "The Histories" by Herodotus from a
                > Pythagorean point of view?
                >
                > Les Greenhill

              • leslie greenhill
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 17, 2006
                  Hi JT

                  I'm not sure if I provided the following in a previous
                  posting. Anyway, below are details of a new work I
                  have just completed. (Melanie Mineo will get this in
                  a reply to a Neoplatonic Studies posting.)

                  GRAND DESIGN IN THE WORKS OF LEONARDO, VITRUVIUS,
                  PLATO AND HERODOTUS

                  ABSTRACT: Leonardo da Vinci’s image of Vitruvian Man,
                  man the microcosm, is the most famous illustration of
                  its kind. Da Vinci’s layout of man’s body in a square
                  and a circle is derived from a formulation found in
                  the influential treatise “The Ten Books on
                  Architecture” written some two thousand years ago by
                  the Roman architect and engineer Vitruvius. It is
                  demonstrated that certain critical design elements in
                  the body’s layout can be linked to other historically
                  significant designs found in Vitruvius’s treatise, in
                  the famous layout of Atlantis as described in
                  “Critias” by the Greek philosopher Plato, and in a
                  number of inventive formulations in a renowned
                  classical work “The Histories” by Herodotus. The
                  material in this exposition radically changes notions
                  of design, the nature of Greek and Roman measures, and
                  the influence of Pythagoreanism in antiquity. (7000
                  words)

                  An extensive study of the works of these people (and
                  others) reveals a distinct design theme that has
                  important historical consequences. As I said to
                  Melanie, I will extract a few examples from the
                  exposition over the next few days and post them to
                  maybe start some discussions. It turns out that
                  Herodotus is a goldmine of inventive Pythagorean
                  arithmetic formulations that can clearly and
                  decisively be linked to the works of the people
                  mentioned in the exposition's title. I will send you
                  an attachment in a separate email the exposition "How
                  Plato designed Atlantis" to help set the scene.

                  Regards
                  Les

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 19, 2006
                    Hi JT and Melanie

                    A few days ago I said I would provide extracts from my
                    new exposition “Grand Design in the works of Leonardo,
                    Vitruvius, Plato and Herodotus”. The extracts enhance
                    the material in another of my works “How Plato
                    designed Atlantis”.

                    The first thing to say about the following material is
                    that it represents only one strand of a larger theme
                    from a unique ancient design technique. Nevertheless,
                    the examples given below have historic significance.
                    They should enable readers to reach some conclusions
                    about the claims I made in the exposition’s synopsis.

                    The strand in the examples relates to the number 36
                    and variants of that number, such as 360, a number
                    associated in antiquity with the number of days in a
                    sacred year. There are many published discussions on
                    this matter. Thirty-six is a square number: 6 x 6.

                    The second matter relates to Greek and Roman measures.
                    A Roman foot and a Greek foot each contained 16 digit
                    divisions. Sixteen is another square number: 4 x 4.
                    A Greek stade contained 600 Greek feet.

                    Here, then, is data for thought and discussion.

                    1. PLATO

                    In a commentary on Plato’s Republic, the Greek
                    philosopher’s most famous book, James Adam, author of
                    The Republic of Plato writes:

                    “We know from the Laws that Plato counted 360 ‘days’
                    in the year. (Adam, Vol. II, p. 301)”

                    Adam’s footnote to this passage states:

                    “The number of Senators in the Laws is 360: these are
                    to be divided into 12 sections of 30 each, and each
                    section is to administer the State for one month. The
                    number 60 with its multiples and divisors is the
                    dominant number throughout the Laws. 360 ‘days’ is of
                    course only an ideal division of the year: see § 6.
                    Plato elsewhere recognises (with Philolaus) 364 1/2
                    days (Rep. IX 587 E …)”. (Adam, Vol. II, p. 301)

                    2. VITRUVIAN MAN

                    Leonardo da Vinci’s famous illustration of Vitruvian
                    Man, the man in the square and the circle, generally
                    follows the formulation given by the Roman architect
                    Vitruvius in his famous treatise “The Ten Books on
                    Architecture” (Book 3.1.1 – 7). I recommend the
                    version translated by Morris Hicky Morgan and
                    published by Dover: see website below. Leonardo’s
                    illustration is also provided on the second website
                    below.

                    Websites:

                    http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus:text:1999.02.0073&query=

                    http://encarta.msn.com/media_461530019/Vitruvian_Man.html

                    Note the lines marked on the body by Leonardo. The
                    lines on the upper body are locations mentioned by
                    Vitruvius.

                    Vitruvius says the “well shaped man” is six feet tall
                    and that the measure of his outstretched arms is the
                    same. Accordingly, the square is 6 by 6 feet, an area
                    of 36 square feet.

                    3. THE OUTSTRETCHED ARMS OF VITRUVIAN MAN

                    In Book 3.1.2 Vitruvius says the breadth of the breast
                    is one fourth of the body height. Accordingly, the
                    breadth of the breast is 1.5 feet (one cubit). See
                    the lines on the shoulders in the illustration.
                    Therefore, the distance from the side of the breast to
                    the tip of an outstretched arm is 2.25 feet:

                    2.25 + 1.5 + 2.25 = 6 feet.

                    The number 2.25 is 1.5 squared, that is, 1.5 x 1.5.
                    And 2.25 is equal to 36 digits.

                    4. PLATO’S ATLANTIS

                    There are two main features of Atlantis as described
                    by Plato in “Critias”: the central water/land ring
                    arrangement (see my “How Plato designed Atlantis”) and
                    the great rectangular plain 3000 stades by 2000
                    stades. The plain contains 60,000 allotments, each
                    allotment being 10 stades by ten stades (includes
                    water frontages): see Stephanus 118 – 9. Note how
                    Plato brings the number six into the discussion. As
                    previously stated, a Greek stade contained 600 Greek
                    feet. Therefore each allotment is 6000 by 6000 feet
                    or 36,000,000 square Greek feet.

                    5. CENTRAL ATLANTIS

                    The water and land ring arrangement is circular and is
                    27 stades in diameter. The radius of the arrangement
                    is 13.5 stades; 13.5 stades is equal to 8100 Greek
                    feet or 129,600 Greek digits. The number 129,600 is
                    360 squared, that is, 360 x 360.

                    6. HERODOTUS AND A VOYAGE UP THE NILE

                    In “The Histories” Herodotus reports that the Egyptian
                    coastline measures 3600 stades and that this is equal
                    to 60 schoeni (an Egyptian measure, he reports): see
                    Book 2.6 – 7. The number 3600 is a square number:
                    60 x 60.

                    A few paragraphs later Herodotus discusses a voyage up
                    the Nile. Heliopolis is, he says, 4860 stades from
                    Thebes (Book 2.9). The distance 4860 stades can be
                    expressed in terms of digits: 4860 x 600 (the number
                    of feet in a stade) = 2,916,000 Greek feet. Multiply
                    the latter number by 16, the number of digits in a
                    foot, and the product is 46,656,000 digits.

                    The number 46,656,000 can be expressed as 360 x 360 x
                    360, that is, 360 cubed. Compare this with the
                    Atlantis radius formulation of 360 x 360 digits.

                    All this is brought into a clear, cohesive and larger
                    context in “Grand Design in the works of Leonardo,
                    Vitruvius, Plato and Herodotus”. I hope that any
                    reader using this material for other purposes will
                    properly attribute the source. (I have been
                    disappointed, but not surprised, to find that some
                    data from the Atlantis exposition is being used in a
                    less than ethical manner.

                    Regards
                    Les Greenhill