Re: Greek Fonts

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10, 2006
      --- In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, "Marilynn Lawrence"
      <pronoia@...> wrote:

      > Dennis,
      >
      > In your original inquiry, you said the journal to which you
      > plan to submit your work does not stipulate a Greek font.
      > You may want to first consult the editors. Most classics
      > and ancient philosophy and theology journals do stipulate
      > which Greek fonts to use. Even a popular font such as
      > SPIonic will not appear if the receiver does not have the
      > font installed. For web journals, unicode is still
      > problematic since not all viewers are granted permissions
      > (if on a network) to install the necessary subset of
      > unicode. If all else fails, or if the audience is not
      > versed in Greek, transliterate.
      >
      > Marilynn

      Thanks for the advice, and I looked at the website for the journal
      and it would appear they want a paper submission anyway, so I suppose
      for now the font is moot other than looking correct and nice. There
      is an email contact given, so I will enquire as to what is expected
      on the electronic side. It really does sound though that there is no
      standard, accepted Greek font out there, so I guess as you suggest
      one has to check with each journal to see the requirements. In this
      case I really do need to quote the Greek in some cases, given the
      nature of what I am doing.

      At least I am not having to reproduce Egyptian hieroglyphics - which
      I cannot read anyway - though some of the articles I am quoting do.
      Yikes.

      Dennis Clark
      Issaquah