ASSIMULATION TO GOD AS SELF-KNOWLEDGE IN ENNEAD 1.2

  • Gary C. Moore
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2002
      --- In ontologicalethics@y..., :

      ASSIMULATION TO GOD AS SELF-KNOWLEDGE IN ENNEAD 1.2

      The comparison of Plotinus and Buddhism on the unreality of the
      (pleasures of the) world is now available at:

      http://www.svabhinava.org/friends/SumithiraSivaratnam/PlotGood-fr
      ame.html

      The treatment of Plotinus' composite ('other') man also has
      S�nkhya overtones, and Sumi even resorts to Vedantic metaphors.
      It would be interesting to contrast all these 'deconstructive'
      attitudes to the world with the (Pratyabhij�� and) Christian
      defense of the (Supreme) Person.

      Also relevant:

      NEOPLATONISM AND INDIAN THOUGHT, ed. R. Baine Harris, State University of New York Press (1982), reprinted in India by Sri Satguru Publications (1992), ISBN 81-7030-321-4

      NEOPLATONISM AND INDIAN PHILOSOPHY, ed. Paulos Mar Gregorios, SUNY, 2002, ISBN 0-7914-5273-5 and paperback ISBN 0-7914-5274-3

    • ytl
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2002
        I would like to know more about what lies behind (or within) the intriguing
        posting about self-knowledge as assimilation to God. I am currently working
        on an intriguing text, written in Arabic by a Yemenite Jew of the 15th
        century, in which the Islamicized versions of gnothe s'auton figure
        prominently. There are some definitions and disquisitions whose pedigree
        eludes me, and which may go back to Greek sources--I have been thinking of
        posting some these to the list; and there is, I suspect , a strong Yoga
        (Hindu, rather than Bhuddist) input, by way of a text that can be
        specifically located in Yemen at the time.

        Tzvi Langermann
        Dept of Arabic
        Bar Ilan University
        Ramat Gan, ISRAEL