Re: [neoplatonism] Re: Contra Christianos

  • Bradley Skene
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 22 9:25 PM
      Not to belabor poor Berchamn, but reading on in his intro. to *Contra
      Christianos*, I found this amazing passage:

      Plotinus left none of his own writings to posterity. What we know of his
      teachings are preserved by Prophyry in the Enneads. These are compendia of
      oral teachings and lecture notes...The writings themselves lack a stylistic
      and grammatical polish... (P. 94)

      The editing is about the worst I have ever seen. 'Seele' is repeatedly
      spelled 'Selle'; French is a language without accents (rationalite, etc.);
      the anonymous refutation of Philostratus, *Life of Apollonius*, is called *
      Philogelos*. Ibid.s occur with no possible reference. A full list would be
      long.

      But I have an actual reason for e-mailing.

      On p. 54 Berchman quotes:

      In Hecate's left hip exists the source of virtue, which remains wholly
      within and does not give away its virginity.

      This is attributed to :

      *Remp*. 2.201.10

      without any clear indication of the author. The context seems to suggest
      that this is from Porphyry (hard to tell since Berchman did not use Smith's
      edition of the fragments), and I recall reading the passage before, but
      cannot quite place it. Does anyone recognize its source?

      thanks,

      Bradley A. Skene

    • Michael Chase
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 23 12:31 AM
        Le 23 avr. 06, à 06:25, Bradley Skene a écrit :

        > Not to belabor poor Berchamn, but reading on in his intro. to *Contra
        > Christianos*, I found this amazing passage:
        >

        > Plotinus left none of his own writings to posterity. What we know of
        > his
        > teachings are preserved by Prophyry in the Enneads. These are
        > compendia of
        > oral teachings and lecture notes...The writings themselves lack a
        > stylistic
        > and grammatical polish... (P. 94)
        >

        > The editing is about the worst I have ever seen. 'Seele' is repeatedly
        > spelled 'Selle'; French is a language without accents (rationalite,
        > etc.);
        > the anonymous refutation of Philostratus, *Life of Apollonius*, is
        > called *
        > Philogelos*. Ibid.s occur with no possible reference. A full list
        > would be
        > long.
        >
        > But I have an actual reason for e-mailing.
        >
        > On p. 54 Berchman quotes:
        >

        > In Hecate's left hip exists the source of virtue, which remains wholly
        > within and does not give away its virginity.
        >

        > This is attributed to :
        >
        > *Remp*. 2.201.10
        >
        > without any clear indication of the author. The context seems to
        > suggest
        > that this is from Porphyry (hard to tell since Berchman did not use
        > Smith's
        > edition of the fragments), and I recall reading the passage before,
        > but
        > cannot quite place it. Does anyone recognize its source?
        >
        > thanks,
        >
        > Bradley A. Skene

        M.C. : That'd be Proclus, Commentary on the Republic, ed. Kroll.
        Otherwise known as fr. 51 (Des Places) of the Chaldaean Oracles.

        Best, Mike.

        Michael Chase
        (goya@...)
        CNRS UPR 76