Plotinus and the Hermetic Tradition

  • Olivier Dufault
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2006
      Hi,

      I was wondering if anybody knows about Middle-Platonic theories of magic
      which look like what Plotinus wrote in the Ennead 4.4.
      The only thing I can think of is Apuleius' double theory, but it doesn't
      really come close to Plotinus' one. In the Apologia, Apuleius describes
      magic first by citing the Alcibiades and then by referring to what he
      calls a popular interpretation and which considers magic as a "community
      of speech with the gods" (which also follows Plato's description of magic
      made by Diotime in the Symposium).
      I always thought that Plotinus' theory of magic was completely
      revolutionnary but I would really appreciate if somebody could show me
      otherwise.