Aristoteles latinus - Ethica nicomachea (help needed, highly urgent)

  • Cristian Ducu
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2006
      Hi,

      Can someone help me find out if Grosseteste's
      translation of Aristotle's "Etica nicomachea" I.7
      contains the phrase << beatum et felicem >> at
      1098a20? I do not have acces to the "Aristoteles
      latinus" series, and I am desperate in finding out
      what the text says.

      I know from a reference I've found in an article that
      Grosseteste preferred to translate "eudaimonia" only
      with "felicitas". But can someone tell me if he
      rigorously kept the distinction between "makaria" and
      "eudaimonia" in his translation and if his equivalents
      for the two greek words are "beatitudo" and
      "felicitas"? It has been claimed that Aquinas did not
      observe a rigorous use of the two Latin terms;
      actually, he used them interchangeably. I wonder if
      there is any article arguing for the opposed opinion.

      Thank you very much.

      Cristian Ducu
      Research Centre in Applied Ethics
      Faculty of Philosophy
      University of Bucharest

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Ana Palanciuc
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 31, 2006
        Hello, Cristian,
        Here is Grosseteste's translation of Et. Nic. I, 7, 98a20: "Amplius autem in vita perfecta. Una enim yrundo ver non facit nec una dies. Ita utique nec beatum et felicem una dies neque paucum tempus." The second question, concerning the distinction between beatitudo and felicitas (makariotes/eudaimonia), every index given, Gauthier's at least, turned out to be also true.
        kind regards (si mult curaj!),
        Ana Palanciuc

        Cristian Ducu <delacineva@...> wrote:
[...]

        Philosophy make up Philosophy beauty product Philosophy Philosophy beauty Ancient greek artifact Ancient greek coin