761Re: [neoplatonism] Re: Noeron Pyr Again

  • Michael Chase
    Oct 1, 2005
      Le 22 sept. 05, à 10:20, vaeringjar a écrit :

      > M.C. I'm a little late on responding to this one, but I've been busy.
      >
      > By the way, "noeron pyr" also pops up in the Tuebingen Theosophy. I
      > can't seem to find anything to read about the background of that
      > work, and I don't even know its date for sure. Is it supposedly 4th
      > century?

      M.C. Usually thought to be last quarter of the 5th century.

      > I dipped into the intoduction of the Teubner edition at
      > least, but I think that is mostly textual.

      M.C. On thihs work see first and foremost H.D. Saffrey, “ Connaissance
      et inconnaissance de Dieu : Porphyre et la Théosophie de Tubingen", in
      Gonimos. Neoplatonic and Byzantine studies presented to Leendert G.
      Westerink at 75, Buffalo 1988, 3-20, reprinted in Saffrey, Recherches
      sur le néoplatonisme apres Plotin, Paris 1990, 11-20. Here, Saffrey
      proves that §. 65 , p. 183 Erbse, where Porphyry is cited, is in fact a
      reference to the (Anonymous) Commentary on the Parmenides. Many regard
      this article as one of the strongest proofs that this Commentary in
      indeed by Porphyry as Hadot was the first to claim.

      > Also have no idea how the term would pop up there - influence of the
      > Stoics or maybe the Chaldaean Oracles, or maybe just from some
      > unknown quarter of Prof. Dillon's famous Platonic Underground?

      M.C. Chaldaean Oracles, I'm guessing.

      Some other views on the Tubingen Theosophy : P.P. Beatrice in his
      recent edition (Anonymi monophysitae Theosophia : an attempt at
      reconstruction / by Pier Franco Beatrice. Leiden : Brill, 2001) thinks
      its author was Severus of Antioch, but that view has been critically
      received by the experts. M. Mastrocinque has proposed the interesting
      idea that this collection of Oracles orginated in Porphyry's De
      Philosophia ex oraculis haurienda, with later additions. See also the
      recent dissertation by the young Belgian scholar Aude Busine : Paroles
      d’Apollon : essai de contextualisation des pratiques et traditions
      oraculaires du IIe au VIe siècle. [s. l.] : [s. n.], 2002. 2 vol.
      (386 feuillets). • Thèse Université Libre de Bruxelles, Fac. de
      Philosophie et Lettres.

      Best, Mike.

      > Michael Chase
      (goya@...)