6350Re: Platonism as Psychotherapy

  • john.uebersax
    Jul 22, 2014

      Based on a comment in a private reply I now see that my remarks about psychologists could stand some clarification.

      I got my PhD in psychology in 1983, and have watched, with some concern, the whole positive psychology movement unfold.  The basic problem I see is that the field is dogmatically materialist/empiricist/reductionist.  It is also chronically unable to recognize even the possibility that human happiness has a moral component, or to comprehend the need for some principle corresponding to moral error.  Along with this, it is almost completely ignorant of Classics, as though nothing written before Freud matters.

      An example will illustrate.  One prominent positive psychologist I know wrote a book in which he claimed to have uncovered a universal value system that applies to all human cultures in all times.  Yet it never occurred to him that piety was one such universal value.  Piety, or anything like it, was simply off his radar screen.  Yet he presumed to announce that he had culled the literatures of all cultures, and had discovered a universal value system.

      This is vast ignorance combined with incredible arrogance – or perhaps we should say hubris.   This is true of most psychology, but especially so with positive psychology.  I'm honestly embarrassed to tell people I'm a psychologist sometimes.

      John U.

      ---In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, <john.uebersax@...> wrote :

      Apparently the Yahoo software engineers haven't figured out how automatically format a URL address as a hyperlink and I must do it manually. Here, hopefully, are click-able links to the essay,
      Platonism as Psychotherapy.
      http://goo.gl/jPFTNJ

      John U.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic