6283Re: [neoplatonism] query about a passage at the very end of Aristotle's Metaphysics

  • Goya
    Apr 26, 2014

      > Well, Tzvi, Syrianus writes quite a polemical commentary on Books M and N,
      > of a type unique, I think, among Neoplatonic commentators on Aristotle.
      > John
      > Dillon

      M.C. Quite so, and the reason these two books represent half of Syrianus's
      commentary on the Metaph. may have been - I think Dominic O'Meara first
      suggested this – that for the other books of the Metaph. Alexander's
      commentary was held to be sufficient, but for books M and N, where Arist.
      openly attacks Plato and the Pythagoreans, required a string refutation by
      the Neoplatonists.

      Best, Mike