6280Re: [neoplatonism] A Pythagorean homily on the Posterior Analytics

  • Goya
    Apr 22, 2014
      I suspect that al -‘adad al-mustawiy in fact renders the Greek for plane
      numbers (epipedoi arithmoi), cf. Plato Theaetetus 147dff.; Euclid VII,
      Def. 16. Yet this would make the statement that four is the first plane
      number strange, since Plato says the first plane number is three.

      Don't know whether what we have here is a "homily", but it looks like
      Nicomachean arithmetic is being used to comment on Aristotle in a very
      interesting way. The whole topic of the four questions of APO II and their
      metamorphoses in Greek, Latin, Syriac and Arabic is fascinating.

      Best, Mike