6279Re: A Pythagorean homily on the Posterior Analytics

    Apr 22, 2014
      Since it's the number four here, it's hard not to think of the Pythagorean tetraktys.

      I am not familiar with the later medieval reception of this Pythagorean tradition, but I would wonder if he were also viewing the number 4 in this regard, he would just say it's the tetraktys openly, so perhaps there is no Pythagoran connection here.

      And though the Pythagoreans certainly observed arithmetic properties of 4 they considered highly significant, that defined its importance, I don't recall the fact that it is the first square was one of them. Now I wonder why they didn't. Unless I am incorrect, and they did also, but I don't think so, or if they did we have any report of it.