6247Welcome to new member

  • Goya
    Mar 19, 2014
      I'd like to welcome aboard Nilufer Akcay, who is working on a thesis on
      Porphyry's Cave of the Nymphs.

      It so happens that our group at the CNRS is just finishing off a new
      translation with commentary of this work.

      I've found two aspects of it difficult. First, it's hard to tell when
      Porphyry's talking and when he's plagiarizing Numenius. Second, I find the
      astrology hard to understand, particularly the business about souls
      descending through Cancer and rising through Capricorn. I don't get in
      what sense Cancer is said to be constellation closest to the earth,
      although it's also the northernmost sign of the zodiac. The parallel
      testimonies of Proclus and Macrobius seem merely to confuse issues, as
      when Macrobius says the soul first shifts from Cancer to Leo.....

      Anybody have light to shed?