6175Re: [neoplatonism] mystical union in Plotinus?

  • John Dillon
    Jan 14, 2014
      Re: [neoplatonism] mystical union in Plotinus?

      "Intellect also, then, has one power for thinking, by which it looks at the things in itself, and one by which it looks at what transcends it by a direct awareness and reception, by which also before it saw only, and by seeing acquired intellect and is one. And that first one is the contemplation of Intellect in its right mind, and the other is Intellect in love, when it goes out of its mind ‘drunk with the nectar’; then it falls in love, simplified into happiness by having its fill, and it is better for it to be drunk with a drunkenness like this than to be more respectably sober " Ennead VI.7 [38].35

      Enjoying, that is, the life of the One, by looking at the One, even though this looking might be improper (not in its right mind) or unrespectable.  The One still transcends that Intellect which is drunk or in love. But adoring Intellect is nevertheless looking at and loving the One, which is something the One itself does not do. So one looking at, however adoringly, the One, is not one with the One. Indeed, the more adoring the look, the greater the yearning, the greater the consciousness of difference. In the same way, the philosopher is not wise, but something between ignorance and wisdom.

      Peter Cheyne

      Kyoto

      ---In neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com, <srlclark@...> wrote:

      "Intellect also, then, has one power for thinking, by which it looks at the things in itself, and one by which it looks at what transcends it by a direct awareness and reception, by which also before it saw only, and by seeing acquired intellect and is one. And that first one is the contemplation of Intellect in its right mind, and the other is Intellect in love, when it goes out of its mind ‘drunk with the nectar’; then it falls in love, simplified into happiness by having its fill, and it is better for it to be drunk with a drunkenness like this than to be more respectably sober " Ennead VI.7 [38].35

      I suspect that Intellect when drunk is enjoying the life of the One.

      Stephen