      From: neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com [neoplatonism@yahoogroups.com] on behalf of Goya [goya@...]
      Sent: 14 January 2014 13:38
      To: Neoplatonism
      Subject: [neoplatonism] mystical union in Plotinus?

      Friends,

      Peter Cheyne has allowed me to reproduce a (still draft-form) paragraph
      from his interesting thesis, and I'd like to get the List's feedback on
      it:

      Plotinus, like Plato, sometimes has things to say about different stages

      > of epistemological progress, so he describes objects in sense, opinion,
      > and conceptual understanding as Here, whereas noesis contemplates
      > intelligible reality There. It also seems to me that when one is in the
      > noetic state of contemplating intelligible reality, one is There:
      > returned returned
      >> or returning to a metastasis (Intellect) transcendent to the one of
      > mundane sensibles.

      It seems to me that this raises the question of the nature of the mystical
      experience in Plotinus (assuming there is such a thing). Does the
      successful philosopher's union take place with the One, with the
      Intellect, with some other principle, or not at all?