6161RES: [neoplatonism] Question: Brisson and the Kristeller Thesis

  • Baracat Junior
    Jan 13, 2014

      Hi, Peter!

      Welcome to the group.

      I think you in mind this article: "L'opposition phusis/tekhnè chez Plotin", Oriens-Occidens, Sciences mathématiques et philosophie de l'Antiquité à l'âge classique, 5, 2004, p. 23-40.

      If I am not wrong, it is available somewhere on web.

      What he says is not actually new. Emile Bréhier had said basically the same in the “notices” to enneads I. 6 and V. 8 of his translation.

      Plotinus’ “aesthetics” is much studied, you’ll find hundreds of thinks about it.

      One old book which I find very good and think that still has it value is La signification d’art dans les Ennéades de Plotin, by E. de Keyser.

      I am sure that Professor John Dillon and Michael Chase will have the right will be able to give you a better and more complete answer.

      Best,

      José