6159Question: Brisson and the Kristeller Thesis

  • Peter Cheyne
    Jan 12, 2014
      I read recently that Luc Brisson argues that Plotinus has no doctrine of aesthetics, because the term was not invented until Baumgarten, and thus Brisson can be read as supporting the Kristeller Thesis (i.e. there is no notion of the Fine Arts until the Modern Era). I am familiar with Baumgarten’s Aesthetica (1750), but cannot find the article or book where Brisson cites its first use of the term aesthetic in this modern sense as evidence for the ancients not having a similar notion.

      Can anybody remember that article or book by Brisson?

      Peter Cheyne
      Kyoto
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic