6155RE: Author of work

  • Tim Addey
    Jan 9, 2014
      As far as I know there is no evidence that Coleridge and Taylor were personally acquainted - Kathleen Raine's short biography of Taylor (in Thomas Taylor the Platonist, Selected Writings) makes several connections between the two, but makes no mention of personal contact.  However Taylor did move in the radical-romantic circle of that period at least in his early writing years: Mary Wollstonecraft, for example, lodged with him for some time and his Rights of Brutes is a good humored parody of her Rights of Women, while John Flaxman invited Taylor to give a series of 12 lectures on Platonism in his house.   So a personal meeting between the two is not out of the question.

      Tim Addey

      On 09/01/2014 17:54, vaeringjar@... wrote:

      Thanks, Mike, another for the reading list.

      Were Coleridge and Taylor acquainted? I dimly remember from somewhere that Shelley knew his work but not him...that may not be correct at all. I wish we had a good biography of Taylor - there isn't any at all, is there?