6113Re: [neoplatonism] An evolving Archetype of Man?

  • David Henderson
    Nov 8, 2013
      If anyone on this list is interested in Jung, they may want to take a peek at my book which has just come out:  Apophatic Elements in the Theory and Practice of Psychoanalysis: Pseudo-Dionysius and C.G. Jung.

      David Henderson

      On 8 Nov 2013, at 17:08, <john.uebersax@...> <john.uebersax@...> wrote:

      Certain aspects of Jungian psychology, and perhaps other writings, could be interpreted in a way that suggests the following conjectures:

      1. That the souls of individual human beings are all connected, either because (a) all are expressions of some Archetype or Form of Man, or (b) because our souls together comprise some superorganism, or (c) both (e.g., perhaps the Archetype of Man and the psychic superorganism are the same – or maybe derive from a more fundamental Form).

      2. And also that the Archetype of Man is in some sense not quite final, but, in history at least, is moving towards a final end ortelos (perhaps that of likeness to God?).

      These conjectures frame the real question I have, which is this: whether the  Archetype of Man is brought to its telos by the agency of individual human beings.  That is, when one person, say in response to some new situation or demand of the current state of history, acquires a skill or virtue new to the species, would that become an attribute of the Human Archetype and so become 'inheritable' by all other human beings (whose souls are instantiations or emanations of the Human Archetype)?  Thus this is positing a kind of a two-way interaction between individual humans and the Archetype of Man.

      I'm just wondering if anything in Neoplatonist writings exists that might address or relate to this possibility.

      I hope this doesn't seem absurdly speculative – if need be I'll blame Jung for hinting at something like this but being rather vague on the details.

      -- John Uebersax

      David Henderson
      Top Flat
      22 Linden Road