6102Re: Relativity and Neoplatonism (Mether vs. Chase, III)

    Oct 31, 2013
      Jonathon,

      I admit that maybe too many issues have been combined. For me, relativity is really a secondary issue dependent on how the first issue -- divine knowledge of what time is it *now* -- is answered. It may also depend on whether what special relativity means by time is time and what general relativity means by gravity is gravity. In SPR, Einstein defines time as clocks. In General Relativity, he defines gravity not as a force but as a geometric property of space-time. Yet, quantum theorists claim they have to treat that as an instrumental metaphor and not as reality.

      But the discussion might be clearer, contrary to my earlier attempt to deal with too many issues at one, with just the first one. If some /any kind of divine omniscience does not know what time it is *now* (which requires incorporating some sense of temporal location, finitude), it is not omniscient and less intelligent than an ordinary human being. But if we say divine omniscience DOES know what time it is *now*, the argument is it must possess properties that pagan and Christian Neoplatonism fails to account for. And if I must confess my first encounter with the problem, it is Duns Scotus' and his intellectual heirs raising the problem with Aquinas' treatment of divine omniscience, eternity, and time. I provided in an earlier and recent post the citation to the text that starts it all. Thomas
    • Show all 48 messages in this topic