6086Re: [neoplatonism] Re: Relativity and Neoplatonism (Mether vs. Chase, III)

    Oct 27, 2013
      Greg,

      I was a student of Eliade. Eliade's "myth of eternal return" motif does not neatly fit all religions. Please see Cohn's Cosmos, Chaos and the World to Come: The Roots of Apocalyptic Faith or the somewhat cheesy but intuitively correct Thomas J.J. Altizer Mircea Eliade and the Dialectic of the Sacred (a friend and the radical Blakean "Death of God" theologian in the 60s along with Hamilton and Vahanian). Read these in terms of the contrast between Hegel (myth of eternal return) and Kierkegaard (apocalyptic shock between the incommensurate past and future that is the present -- also see Max Planck's citation of Kierkegaard's view of time as apocalyptic as the theological interpretation of his quantum mechanical constant in his Scientific Autobiography and Einstein's refusal to accept Planck's Kierkegaardian time which led to Bell's Inequality Theorem that led to the Aspect experiments conclusively showing Einstein wrong and Planck right). The same contrast, from a Jewish phenomenological perspective, is made by Emmanuel Levinas in Totality (i.e., Myth of Eternal Return) and Infinity (i.e., apocalyptic unpredictability).

      But the deeper issues go deeper into what a superior intelligence has to have as conditions to know at least what we know, A mere timeless knowledge of succession fails. How would it know the difference between cardinal and ordinal? Or, whether is any succession did, is or will be actually happening? Did it, is it now, or will it happen such timeless knowledge can't answer. Even supposing such a timeless knowledge of succession is a knowledge of historical events, a mere knowledge of the what happened before, and then, and then, and then from the beginning of a history to the end does not know if it occurred or if actually occurring, where in that time-line is the now, the present moment. If it knows Alexander the Great comes before Julius Caesar who comes before Augustus Caesar who comes before the Renaissance which comes before Descartes, which comes before Kant, Hegel, Nietzsche, world-war one, world-war two, and collapse of the USSR, timelessly it cannot know if this sequence happened or if it happened, what is "now" in terms of the sequence whether "now" is middle of it or "now" is before it happens or "now" is after it happened. If some superior intelligence is not embodied in time itself, has some kind participation in temporal finitude or finite location (it is "now" between that before and this coming after), it is less intelligent than us - a retarded entity.

      This is a standard criticism of Indian philosophies and Zoroastrianism of Greek metaphysics. It defines the ultimate divine as timeless, successionless, and thus, in their view (I say rightly) makes the Neoplatonic divine dumb. Zoroastrianism and Indian philosophies make a point that their more adequate concept of the divine makes time a sadguna (essential property) of the divine as everlasting time and that Persia was the frontier between errant and correct views of the divine and time.

      Thomas

      On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 9:09 PM, gregshaw58 <gregshaw58@...> wrote:

      I recently paid attention to the lively exchanges between M. Chase and T. Mether, and I was reminded of the joke about the Irishman in a bar when a fight breaks out. He asks: "Is this a private fight or can anyone join in?" So, at risk of jumping in uninvited I had an observation about only the last exchange and would pose it this way:

      M. Chase, characterizing the view of Eliade, writes: We can, however, re-actualize our participation in eternity by our participation in rituals and myth, *precisely because they abolish profane, everyday time* (Eliade, op. cit, p. 71). The importance of re-actualizing myth and ritual is also a key notion for Corbin: cf *En Islam iranien, index s.v. *hikâyat*, vol. 4 p. 495.

      T. Mether had written: Some philosophical and religious traditions claim that, as well as scholars such as Eliade, Corbin,..., that myth as "hierophantic ontophany" (a sacred revealing of the nature of real Being - used by both Eliade and Corbin) means drama, the dramatic has deep ontological weight (and thus, myth as story with a temporally unfolding plot, and thus, time itself).

      Chase right points out that Eliade argues that "traditional/archaic" societies perform rituals precisely to escape from profane time and not to valorize it. They rejoin the primordial through myth and ritual.

      As I read the entire exchange I was hard-pressed to see the difference between entering primordial time through ritual/myth and revealing primal reality through drama. It seems to me that "entering" primordial time through ritual is another way of describing how it becomes manifest/accessible (ontophanic in Mether's terms) in drama. Surely the disagreement, then, is not over the meaning of drama and ritual. Rather I suspect it stems from Mether's use of "temporally unfolding plot, and thus, time itself" to describe the play of this ritual/drama. The question, then, seems to focus on what happens to profane time when those in it perform a rite that transforms it. When M says "time itself…has a deep ontological weight" does he mean time made cyclical through ritual or linear/historical time? Eliade invites us into the imagination of archaic people who enter the primordial through rituals that, in some sense, transform mundane objects into hierophanic portals to that Reality. The question, it seems to me, is how much—if at all—can historical time be similarly transformed.

      I enjoy immensely the contributions of Chase and Mether to this site and am, frankly, blown away by their erudition and breadth of knowledge. But on this issue, at least, they seem not to be in as much disagreement as might appear. The question they entertain—from different approaches—is whether our temporal realm (the pale shadow/ the profane) can be transparent to that "fundamental reality." And if so, how do we imagine it?

      Of course (pace Mr. Skene) I write this as someone who has a high regard for dowsers and others who practice forms of divination. But then, isn't divination a practice of making fundamental reality accessible by allowing it to penetrate our linear, progressive, temporal realm?

      And gentlemen, please do not interrupt your exchange. Carry on!

      All the best,

      Greg Shaw