608Re: Plotinus, "On Beauty" (1.6 [1])

  • mrnkogan
    Apr 11, 2005
      Thanks to everybody who responded to my question. I am getting back
      with such a delay only because I have not been aware of these
      (my e-mail notification was not working).
      Also, I apologize for confusion with my name, which is, actually,
      Arkadi Choufrine (I had to use my wife's account first because I
      could
      not pass Yahoo's symbol recognition test :<()
      I will certainly look into the studies to which you referred me
      (French
      is not a problem :>).
      At this point I would just clarify my question a bit.
      I understand that "theoremata" are not Forms. What I do not
      understand
      is:
      (1) How Plotinus could possibly consider some kind of "theoremata"
      be "not dominated by shape" (which is his definition of ugliness).
      What
      does it mean for a "theorema" to be "dominated by shape"?
      (2) What about the second part of my question (concerning the soul)?
      In
      particular, how should we take Plotinus' statement that ugliness
      comes
      to the soul through its "receiving a FORM (eidos) other than its own"?

      Arkadi Choufrine
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic