6063Re: RES: [neoplatonism] Re: Calling all astrologers!

  • Marilynn Lawrence
    Oct 10, 2013
      Dear José,

      I certainly can't speak for Michael but I think I can help answer your question. In the Myth of Er Plato himself talks about some souls choosing the life of an animal. Orpheus chose a swan, Agamemnon an eagle, Ajax a lion, Thersites a monkey, Thamyris a nightingale. He also mentions some unjust humans turning to wild animals and just ones to tame animals. So a life of a dog would be for a just soul, I suppose.

      Marilynn

      On Oct 10, 2013, at 5:02 AM, Baracat Junior <baracatjr@...> wrote:

      Dear Michael,

      Great topic! Unfortunately I just could read the messages now.

      I hope this is not your last message on it, because for me there is one thing more curious here:

      The deviation/inclination/rotation of the zodiacal point according to which each one is each one, is what I understood when I read the fragment.

      I am not so sure that paráklisis and stimé are technical terms, as someone has pointed out, for if they were, we probably would find many more instances of them in the surviving literature. But they are certainly describing traditional astrological concepts.

      However, what makes me curious – and I do hope you can elaborate a little more on that – is Porphyry’s saying that a soul “chooses” its life – why would a soul choose to be a dog?

      Best,

      José